Stack unit washer and dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
I'm being told that the receptacle feeding the washer and dryer need to be GFCI protected, just looking for opinions and comments.

Attachments

• DSC00999.jpg
    DSC00999.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00997.jpg
    DSC00997.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, there is a required 120V receptacle needed for the washer and since it is closer than 6' to a sink it would require gfci. The 240V 30 amp receptacle does not require one.

fbhwt

Occupation
Maybe so, however, (there's always a however in life), reading the code can stop or change a few of the "codes" someone states.

First we must establish who's code we are reading and who is doing the reading, grasshopper! sorry I just had to say that!

magoo5150

IMO, there is a required 120V receptacle needed for the washer and since it is closer than 6' to a sink it would require gfci. The 240V 30 amp receptacle does not require one.
210.52(F) Requires 1 15A or 20A receptacle in laundry areas. This laundry circuit can not supply any other outlets and if its within 6 feet of a sink it must be GFCI protected. The 30A 240V outlet has no bearing on the 120V requirements

magoo5150

It goes to show, don't quote code from memory. I was wrong. As of the 2014 code:

1. Article 210.8(A)(10) ALL receptacles installed in a laundry area will now require GFCI protection. It will not matter whether or not the receptacle is close to the sink, or even if there is a sink. The required laundry receptacle as well as any other receptacles in the laundry area must be GFCI-protected. It is also important to point out that Article 210.8 requires that GFCI receptacles or devices be installed in a readily accessiblelocation. If a washing machine needs to be temporarily moved over in order to reset a GFCI device, this would be a VIOLATION of code since the installation has not met the definition of readily accessible.

fbhwt

Occupation
It goes to show, don't quote code from memory. I was wrong. As of the 2014 code:

1. Article 210.8(A)(10) ALL receptacles installed in a laundry area will now require GFCI protection. It will not matter whether or not the receptacle is close to the sink, or even if there is a sink. The required laundry receptacle as well as any other receptacles in the laundry area must be GFCI-protected. It is also important to point out that Article 210.8 requires that GFCI receptacles or devices be installed in a readily accessiblelocation. If a washing machine needs to be temporarily moved over in order to reset a GFCI device, this would be a VIOLATION of code since the installation has not met the definition of readily accessible.

I don't have my code book, what does it say about "other than a dwelling", this is not a dwelling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't have my code book, what does it say about "other than a dwelling", this is not a dwelling.

This is from the 2014 NEC

(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, singlephase,
15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations
specified in 210.8(B)(1) through (8) shall have
ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
(1) Bathrooms
(2) Kitchens
(3) Rooftops
(4) Outdoors
Exception No. 1 to (3): Receptacles on rooftops shall not be
required to be readily accessible other than from the
rooftop.
Exception No. 2 to (3) and (4): Receptacles that are not
readily accessible and are supplied by a branch circuit
dedicated to electric snow-melting, deicing, or pipeline and
vessel heating equipment shall be permitted to be installed
in accordance with 426.28 or 427.22, as applicable.
Exception No. 3 to (4): In industrial establishments only,
where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure
that only qualified personnel are involved, an assured
equipment grounding conductor program as specified in
590.6(B)(2) shall be permitted for only those receptacle
outlets used to supply equipment that would create a
greater hazard if power is interrupted or having a design
that is not compatible with GFCI protection.
(5) Sinks ? where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m
(6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink
Exception No. 1 to (5): In industrial laboratories, receptacles
used to supply equipment where removal of power
would introduce a greater hazard shall be permitted to be
installed without GFCI protection.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Don't think that applies to 240V recpts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.