Thread: Transformer, Single Phase 208V Primary to 230V/115V secondary

Transformer, Single Phase 208V Primary to 230V/115V secondary

I have a customer that needs to convert the 230V secondary to a 220V European voltage secondary, can anyone help me with a detailed rundown/wiring diagram on how to accomplish this?

My first thought is if the frequencies between the presumably American supply and intended European load are compatible.

That said, I've worked all over the world, and everything I've ever used in that range could operate safely on 220 - 240 V.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    My first thought is if the frequencies between the presumably American supply and intended European load are compatible.

That said, I've worked all over the world, and everything I've ever used in that range could operate safely on 220 - 240 V.
    Agreed. Most things are good with +-10% on the voltage level itself, it's the frequency that will get you more often.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Assuming the 50/60Hz frequency change and 220/230V voltage difference are acceptable, the only change is to remove the connection to the center tap on the secondary, and bond one end of the secondary to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
    Assuming the 50/60Hz frequency change and 220/230V voltage difference are acceptable, the only change is to remove the connection to the center tap on the secondary, and bond one end of the secondary to ground.
    Ahhh, because even though the equipment shouldn't care (right?), we technically would have a "220" V hot-to-grounded/neutral instead of a 230 V hot-to-hot?

Quote Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
    So, disconnect X2 & X3 and ground X4, which leaves you with X1 being you single 220V hot lead?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Ahhh, because even though the equipment shouldn't care (right?), we technically would have a "220" V hot-to-grounded/neutral instead of a 230 V hot-to-hot?
    It's nominally 230V live to neutral. It's a fudge to try get uniformity in the EU.
    My voltage at home measures 245Vac. I guess it's the same for neighbours fed from the same distribution transformer.
    At work it was, and probably still is, just under 400Vac line to line.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Why not a Buck-Boost Transformer ? will yield the exact voltage you want and isn't it more cost effective and you don't need the 115V.

Quote Originally Posted by ELLIO083 View Post
    So, disconnect X2 & X3 and ground X4, which leaves you with X1 being you single 220V hot lead?
    Do you already have the transformer?

208VL-L to primary leads H1-H2.

X1 = SL1, ungrounded
    Jumper X2-X3
    X4 = SL2, grounded
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by ELLIO083 View Post
    I have a customer that needs to convert the 230V secondary to a 220V European voltage secondary,
    European is nominally 230V
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.