Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wet Bathroom Switches and Receptacles.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    21

    Wet Bathroom Switches and Receptacles.

    Hi,

    I have a customer who is looking to build a wet bathroom in his pool house. Obviously I'll be planning to GFCI protect all the lighting and receptacles in there. But I don't know what else might be needed. Bonding? What kind of switches should I plan on using? Use a WR receptacles? I was going to use the dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker for the whole wet bathroom. Any other thoughts or tips from anyone who has ever done one of these would be greatly appreciated! I think I'll call the local inspector too.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,286
    By wet bathroom , you mean that there is a showerhead and drain in the floor with no defined shower stall?


    If so I don't think you are allowed to have a receptacle in that area. The light switch could be controlled by a motion sensor.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    By wet bathroom , you mean that there is a showerhead and drain in the floor with no defined shower stall?


    If so I don't think you are allowed to have a receptacle in that area. The light switch could be controlled by a motion sensor.
    406.9
    (C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be
    installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

    @prattz99
    Otherwise, wet location receptacles are permitted with stipulations... see 406.9 in its entirety.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Motor City, Michigan USA
    Posts
    455
    The light switch could be outside of the room.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    3,107
    I can't imagine what anyone would want to plug into a receptacle in a shower room??

    Or do you think it falls under the 6/12 rule?

    -Hal

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Napa, CA, US
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Or do you think it falls under the 6/12 rule?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,851
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I can't imagine what anyone would want to plug into a receptacle in a shower room??

    Or do you think it falls under the 6/12 rule?

    -Hal
    Or the 5150 rule perhaps?

    Ok, sorry, I forgot that's a California specific reference...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150...chiatric_hold)
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Napa, CA, US
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    Or the 5150 rule perhaps?

    Ok, sorry, I forgot that's a California specific reference...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150...chiatric_hold)
    I caught the reference. My 13yo is on one now. I also thought it must be a nationwide term.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,085
    Art 100 definition of bathroom -

    Bathroom.An area including a basin with one or more of the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a bidet, or similar plumbing fixtures.

    If no basin in the same area it is not a bathroom regardless of whether the dwelling unit label gets applied to it or not.

    Only required receptacles in bathrooms fall under 210.52 which applies to dwelling units. In the pool house I would think disqualifies it from needing to meet any dwelling unit bathroom requirements, so it is just an indoor wet location area. It can still be considered a dwelling accessory building though if on a residential property.

    Then you have the already mentioned no receptacles allowed within tub or shower space - which possibly could be the entire room the way it sounds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •