Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Second set of eyes for 480 delta delta to 240/120

Quote Originally Posted by Robert4709 View Post
    so if we scale the 3 kv to a 20 kv it is likely not to sag even given a 35A load so then I guess my question is is it ok to give the A/C 263V long term?
    Chances are, a 20kVA transformer is going to have an output which is a lot closer to 240V nominal, if not exactly a ratio of 480:240.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

I think that the overthinking is starting with the idea that the transformer which is being tested and whose name plate is pictured is typical and representative of all 480 to 120/240 transformers.
    The fact that the transformer is clearly rated for both 50Hz and 60Hz use and for both US and non-US nominal input voltages makes seem out of the ordinary to me.
    Also note that as stated by Besoeker in another thread it is common for EU power transformers to have a compensated (different from exact nominal) turn ratio to deal with voltage drop at full load, while US power transformers (unlike control transformers) have exact nominal ratios instead.
    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    I think that the overthinking is starting with the idea that the transformer which is being tested and whose name plate is pictured is typical and representative of all 480 to 120/240 transformers.
    The fact that the transformer is clearly rated for both 50Hz and 60Hz use and for both US and non-US nominal input voltages makes seem out of the ordinary to me.
    Also note that as stated by Besoeker in another thread it is common for EU power transformers to have a compensated (different from exact nominal) turn ratio to deal with voltage drop at full load, while US power transformers (unlike control transformers) have exact nominal ratios instead.
    This is exactly what I needed to know, thanks! Seems a sample size of 1 always leads to problems, thank you for helping sort the murky waters

I assume something like this then should work without too much issue http://www.surplusindustrialsupply.c...r-tra3664.html

Without seeing the full specs, just part of the nameplate, I would still say that as long as it has the power you need it should be fine.