D/W and G Disposer on ganged breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckscrew

I'm a GC in the SF Bay Area. Did not pass final. Inspector said dishwasher and garbage disposer need to be on a "ganged" breaker. Each unit has its own 20 amp circuit. There is no shared neutral. I've never heard of this before. Have I been in the dark?

Thanks

fmtjfw

I'm a GC in the SF Bay Area. Did not pass final. Inspector said dishwasher and garbage disposer need to be on a "ganged" breaker. Each unit has its own 20 amp circuit. There is no shared neutral. I've never heard of this before. Have I been in the dark?

Thanks

Are the two circuits on a single duplex receptacle?
That is the only reason I can think of that would require a "ganged" breaker.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Brain Dead Inspector. Seems to be more and more common in the bay area recently.

I was called on this a few years ago. Two separate 14-2 cables to 2 separate receptacles not even in the same cabinet. Inspector said DW and Disp mush always be handle tied. I told him the was no such requirement and he refused to back down saying it was a requirement of his supervisor. I told him I would have a talk with his supervisor. When I called the supervisor he said the inspector was wrong and I did NOT need to handle tie the breakers.

magoo5150

I talked to the electrician. He's going to change the breaker. He says its easier than fighting.
I know that's the easy thing to do but it's not the right thing to do. I would not argue but insist on a code reference so I "will know for future reference". Not calling an inspector on his errors reinforcces bad decisions.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
As an inspector, I agree the code section needs to be there if it is going to be enforced. If it is a local requirement, there needs to be documentation of the rule implemented. I learn as much from electrician on the job as anywhere else because of the different products available. We share a common goal of safety and share information equally. Make them show you the rule.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with the last 2 posts. The only problem with doing this (at least in my experience) is that everything slows down (money, job progress, etc.) while waiting for a response from the EI. It's often faster and cheaper to just go ahead and do what he wants (sadly enough).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Personally I would ask why it was incorrect and then educate him/her if need be. Inspectors make mistakes too and need to be corrected when they're wrong.

Steviechia2

As an inspector, I agree the code section needs to be there if it is going to be enforced. If it is a local requirement, there needs to be documentation of the rule implemented. I learn as much from electrician on the job as anywhere else because of the different products available. We share a common goal of safety and share information equally. Make them show you the rule.

In Ma.-Under Mass general laws says that there can be no local law that supersedes the Ma electrical code.

deckscrew

I agree with the last 2 posts. The only problem with doing this (at least in my experience) is that everything slows down (money, job progress, etc.) while waiting for a response from the EI. It's often faster and cheaper to just go ahead and do what he wants (sadly enough).

You're right in this case. Its all about getting paid.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wouldn't back down like that. Idiot inspectors win that way.

I agree, there's interpretation allowed by the wording of the NEC and then there's wrong. In the this case the latter applies and the inspector should be informed.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am not in this field to train inspectors, I am going to take the path of least resistance to get the job done.

In this case the repair is easy if the breakers are next to each other. I'm definitely going to inform the inspector he is incorrect but I would also be willing to do what he wants if he is going to hold the job up.

Bob, What would you do in the case of the Tandem Breaker thread? Would you keep quiet and change the panel?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I think I'd save my ammunition for a bigger battle.

If his requests started getting progressively out of line, then I might take a more firm stance.

Although the inspector is wrong on something simple like this ,if it was the only odd thing he requested, I'd probably go ahead and do it and then complain to everyone else that knew better, that I had to.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.