Face Plate Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYJETS

Need your Help Here!

I have a 18-60R receptacle used in a hotel for events (4 pole - 4 wire). The receptacle is wired according to it NEMA configuration - 3 phase - 60A - 120/208V (three Hots and a Neutral, no ground). The hotel electrician has made a tempoary panel with Edison outlets for customers to use on a tempory event basis. The 18-60P plug (4 pole) and cord (5 wire) wired to this temporary panel has the ground conductor pulled out of the cord and is attached to a lug on the metal face plate of the 18-60R receptacle. I'm sure its not code compliant, but what NEC articles apply here?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
If this is a flush coverplate screwed to the receptacle yoke, I don't see it included in 250.118.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Maybe he is using 406.4(C) for the grounding.

Yes, a two gang stainless steel plate, with a ground lug attached to one of the four face plate screws

406.4(C) explains that the receptacle outlet and cord plug equipment grounding conductor contacts must be bonded to the EGC of the branch circuit. The included informational notes refer one back to 250.118.

When the cord EGC is pulled loose from the cord plug, the continuity of the EGC is broken.

Henley

Need your Help Here!

I have a 18-60R receptacle used in a hotel for events (4 pole - 4 wire). The receptacle is wired according to it NEMA configuration - 3 phase - 60A - 120/208V (three Hots and a Neutral, no ground). The hotel electrician has made a tempoary panel with Edison outlets for customers to use on a tempory event basis. The 18-60P plug (4 pole) and cord (5 wire) wired to this temporary panel has the ground conductor pulled out of the cord and is attached to a lug on the metal face plate of the 18-60R receptacle. I'm sure its not code compliant, but what NEC articles apply here?

OP, I'm curious about this as well. Was there an equipment ground in the original Outlet ? Was this intended for "courtesy Receptacles" or some type of lighting, just never seen a 3 phase Ungrounded receptacle used for "Hotel Events"

lhannon

I have not posted much and am new to the sight, this one caught my attention. The 60 amp three phase receptacle is not correct. To my knowledge, a twist lock receptacle is not available in that configuration. We use a product from a manufacture that also functions as a listed quick disconnect. It is a 5 wire, 3 phase pin type and can be field configured as needed. three hots, a neutral, and a ground. I don't see that attaching the ground in the cord to the faceplate is doing anything because its not connected to anything on the line side.

lhannon

after re-reading the original post I think what you are saying is that the ground is pulled out of the cord and attached to the front of the faceplate by means of a lug while the three hot and neutral go into a cord cap plug. While the faceplate may be grounded, I would not want to see what happens in a fault situation. Does not appear that any of the UL listed parts making up this configuration are doing what they were originally designed to do. I wouldn't take the risk of a fault and would suggest the correct plug and receptacle combination be installed in its place. They are certainly made and available. And UL listed for the application.

Henley

I have not posted much and am new to the sight, this one caught my attention. The 60 amp three phase receptacle is not correct. To my knowledge, a twist lock receptacle is not available in that configuration. We use a product from a manufacture that also functions as a listed quick disconnect. It is a 5 wire, 3 phase pin type and can be field configured as needed. three hots, a neutral, and a ground. I don't see that attaching the ground in the cord to the faceplate is doing anything because its not connected to anything on the line side.

I had a similar thought, but we don't know if the receptacle Box and therefore Faceplate is grounded. That's why I also asked for some more
insight. Just because the receptacle doesn't have a ground pin, doesn't mean there isn't a grounding conductor in the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.