Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conduit sleeve for ground

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Because emt needs the extra bonding, because pvc doesn't, and because there's no need for any concealment.
    I agree with those.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

Also keep in mind if this is the grounding electrode conductor the splicing device used must be listed for grounding.

If the conductor is bare, you don't need to bond at either/both ends is what I have always understood.
    It's my name going on that drawing, not yours. If what you want ain't right, it ain't going on the drawings!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    If the conductor is bare, you don't need to bond at either/both ends is what I have always understood.
    Are you confident that any "casual" contact is a good enough bond?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    but the code does not actually say that.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I might hide it so some nitwit down the road does not notice it and try to "fix" it.
    Putting a sleeve over a ground splice would actually make it more noticeable.

If a nitwit tried to "Fix a Splice" the only way he could actually "Fix it" would be to run a whole new conductor from point A to point B without the splice which would actually make him smarter than the nitwit that cut it short in the first place.

I'm with Action Dave.

Splice it and leave it like it is.

JAP>

It's a bare copper wire, it was also poured into the footer and is coming thru the slab, replacing it is somewhat of an issue

Quote Originally Posted by karn View Post
    It's a bare copper wire, it was also poured into the footer and is coming thru the slab, replacing it is somewhat of an issue
    That is about the only time I splice such conductors.

My company failed an inspection due to something called dissimilar metals which would fit the application between copper and EMT. But as stated earlier in this forum all irreversible splices must be exposed so therevwould really be no need to have the splice covered by a piece of PVC conduit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by electrict dave View Post
    My company failed an inspection due to something called dissimilar metals which would fit the application between copper and EMT.
    So the inspector made you remove all copper EGC's from steel boxes and enclosures, interesting. How did you bond them?

Roger