Kitchen Pop-up outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
You trying to show off again-- you know we are talking about the kitchen....:D
No....i just did a CHEAT word search in the PDF version of the NEC......actually lack of showing off...lazy actually...yeah I know but I (warped mind...ask anyone) figured I would do it...:happyno:

mwm1752

Look at 210.21(B)

True the sillite is a single receptacle but it is not necessarily on a individual circuit

Now look at Table 210.21(B)(3)

Thanks Dennis, Its funny how you read something 30 years ago, keep it in your memory bank as such, only to realize that what you consider a simple code followed may be only a good Idea. Never stop learning and I certainly do not expect to.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Would a single receptacle satisfy the requirements for the receptacles serving counter tops, or any required receptacle as far as that goes?

Where in the nec does it state a duplex is needed. We use these all the time on peninsulas and islands. Customers love them and they are TR

Dennis, notice the word "Would" in my post, that was a question not a statement.:p

I never even thought of it before, just thought about it when I saw the pic of the pop up with single receptacle.

tkb

I have an island with no place for receptacles on the sides or back.
the island has a sink in the center and a 12" overhang by the countertop on the front.

Can receptacles be installed under the overhang to be code compliant?

mwm1752

I have an island with no place for receptacles on the sides or back.
the island has a sink in the center and a 12" overhang by the countertop on the front.

Can receptacles be installed under the overhang to be code compliant?

as long as the overhang from the side does not extend > 6" to the recept opening (not the edge of box) and is less than 12" from finish top

mwm1752

No....i just did a CHEAT word search in the PDF version of the NEC......actually lack of showing off...lazy actually...yeah I know but I (warped mind...ask anyone) figured I would do it...:happyno:

I consider the word search option more of a sanity saver -- rathter be sane & lazy than active & crazy:happyyes:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Anyone used this product in a kitchen counter-top?

http://www.lewelectric.com/kitchen-products/

I have a customer who wants to put some in the counter-top.

I don't like the way they look- kind of bulky. Mocket finally came back out with their unit which is direct wired and ul listen-- It has a tr gfci receptacle. Very pricey tho

pcs77-26d_259px-mockett-satin-chrome-pop-up-kitchen-power-grommet-open-shot.jpg

mwm1752

I like the idea shown but to play a little devils advocate here -- would this technically be considered behind a cabinet door/appliance garage not readily accessible per 210.52 ( C ) (5) - An unfamilliar person in the residence may not be able to readily find the required recept & use an extension cord.

480sparky

I like the idea shown but to play a little devils advocate here -- would this technically be considered behind a cabinet door/appliance garage not readily accessible per 210.52 ( C ) (5) - An unfamilliar person in the residence may not be able to readily find the required recept & use an extension cord.

Using that logic, there should be no receptacles that can end up behind television sets, beds, dressers, bookcases, china hutches etc because someone might not be able to find them.

And what about receps behind open doors? Shall we say they are not readily accessible, even though the code might require them to be there?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Using that logic, there should be no receptacles that can end up behind television sets, beds, dressers, bookcases, china hutches etc because someone might not be able to find them.

And what about receps behind open doors? Shall we say they are not readily accessible, even though the code might require them to be there?

The nec allows outlets behind doors but they are not qualified as the required outlet. I don't think this is an issue but you never know

210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section
provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle
outlets. The receptacles required by this section
shall be in addition to any receptacle that is:
(1) Part of a luminaire or appliance, or
(2) Controlled by a wall switch in accordance with
210.70(A)(1), Exception No. 1, or
(3) Located within cabinets or cupboards, or
(4) Located more than 1.7 m (51⁄2 ft) above the floor

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The nec allows outlets behind doors but they are not qualified as the required outlet. I don't think this is an issue but you never know
I think that 480sparky was referring to outlets in a section of wall which is covered up when a room door is open. Often the door will be open most of the time, so plugging something in will involve moving the door (although not necessarily closing it.) :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

kwired

Electron manager
But if we hide it behind say a weatherproof receptacle cover, it still sells electrical products made by those manufacturers that submit a lot of input and supporting information to code making panels and is acceptable.:happyyes:

480sparky

So how do you comply with putting a recep in a 24" wall between a bedroom door and the closet when you open a 24" door against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.