Seal conduits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Good day
does anyone perchance know when residential panels had to seal empty conduits feeding them started?
home inspector marked two empty conduits in 2009 built home
thank you

magoo5150

Is the AHJ suggesting that due to the chance of moisture coming in from the crawlspace, these conduits must be sealed? I know of know of no other reason to seal them.

Ravenvalor

Is the AHJ suggesting that due to the chance of moisture coming in from the crawlspace, these conduits must be sealed? I know of know of no other reason to seal them.

He did not say moisture per se so I was under the impression that he was concerned about air feeding a fire.
I like your concern for moisture though, especially when lesser beings use aluminum busses.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Maybe 312.5(A)
Close, but in this case the inspector appears to be saying that openings (i.e. conduit) through which conductors enter do NOT need to be sealed while openings through which no conductors enter must be. :)

I read that section as requiring that there should not be big holes around the fittings or raceways or NM, such as when putting a round fitting into a square punched hole or feeding NM in without a clamp that substantially blocks the opening. (As an example of what would not be allowed, think of a fitting that clamps NM by bringing together two flat bars on either side of the NM but without any projections to cover the hole opening on the far side of the clamp from the NM.)

magoo5150

Close, but in this case the inspector appears to be saying that openings (i.e. conduit) through which conductors enter do NOT need to be sealed while openings through which no conductors enter must be. :)

I read that section as requiring that there should not be big holes around the fittings or raceways or NM, such as when putting a round fitting into a square punched hole or feeding NM in without a clamp that substantially blocks the opening. (As an example of what would not be allowed, think of a fitting that clamps NM by bringing together two flat bars on either side of the NM but without any projections to cover the hole opening on the far side of the clamp from the NM.)
I'm with you. I just couldn't think off anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.