What do your wear to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx2step

For you single person, self employed contractors (that work by yourself, without any employees), what do you wear to work in?

Do you wear jeans and a t-shirt, a shirt with a collar or do you wear some type of "uniform"?

For those in hot climates, do you wear shorts in the summer?

I've been thinking of wearing something along the lines of what the UPS guys wear...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When I worked I wore whatever I wanted. Usually jeans with holes at the knees and t-shirts. Seldom wore shorts because of crawling but I wore some pretty ratty clothes. Never seemed to hurt the business.

Occupation
Inspector
My work is mostly residential in a climate that is quite seasonal. I wear T-shirt with Company logo, FireHose work pants, long and tennis shoes year round.

ceknight

For you single person, self employed contractors (that work by yourself, without any employees), what do you wear to work in?

Do you wear jeans and a t-shirt, a shirt with a collar or do you wear some type of "uniform"?

I keep a week's worth each of khaki work slacks and khaki work shorts on hand. When it's below 55F or when I need skin protection I wear the former, when not, the latter. Collared shirt of some sort. Over the years that has become my uniform, and I'm reminded occasionally by my wife that it's an extremely boring one. Oh, well.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Work jeans, work boots (steel toe), button down collar long/short sleeve shirt (always tucked in), with embroidered logo and company patches.

enireh

wow

wow

For those in hot climates, do you wear shorts in the summer?

I've been thinking of wearing something along the lines of what the UPS guys wear...

what do have on?

darekelec

I work for somebody but my character of work is like a subcontractor. I am only electrician I know that changes clothes before and after work. My friend fashion photographer ordered me to do that :) I think it sends a good message to clients that this guy has some class.
It lets me use sometimes tenant elevator not freight one. And doorman opens door for me . haha
It is also helpful if i wanna do side job after hours and building lets in only visitors, not contractors after 4PM.

kwired

Electron manager
Depends on task to be performed and conditions. Hot weather will be wearing shorts more often, never used to do that but find I can't take it anymore. Will try to schedule certain tasks for cooler times of day as much as possible - especially ones that maybe require more protection then shorts give you.

rt66electric

depends on job>>

depends on job>>

Normal wear Shorts in summer , jeans in the winter
The type of shirts depends on the days' job..
T-shirt carharts or thick weight hanes with logo for everyday work
button up shirts w/logo for office or service call residential type work.
And I always keep a clean and a worn shirt in the truck ( and T.P.)
"Ya gotta come to work prepared for anything"

tx2step

Lots of good info...and diversity! Thanks!!!

In the summer, in north Texas, I'll be wearing shorts (cargo type) whenever possible! Also t-shirts whenever possible! Collar type shirt whenever I have to make a really good impression!

Winter time, jeans or cargo pants...

Anyone else??? Lots of views, but not a lot of responses...

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
While these days I wear an oxford and dockers....back in the days of pulling cable I wore a company polo shirt, work khakis and work boots. To me it was all about the image my company presented but that's the beauty of being the boss....you set the dress code:angel:

edlee

I live in a more rural area and I've been a little freaked out about the ticks and high incidence of lyme disease around here. So I just bought some jeans and socks made by "insect shield" that have an insecticide, permethrin, bonded to the clothing during manufacture. There are a lot of reports that it keeps most biting bugs, including ticks, off of you. They look and feel like any other jeans. So unless I'm working in town I'll be wearing these.

Normally don't wear jeans to work though, they don't hold up well enough. So I buy lightweight black slacks from Walmart for $14 and don't worry about them too much! Them and a pocket t-shirt. My standard.

L.

kwired

Electron manager
I live in a more rural area and I've been a little freaked out about the ticks and high incidence of lyme disease around here. So I just bought some jeans and socks made by "insect shield" that have an insecticide, permethrin, bonded to the clothing during manufacture. There are a lot of reports that it keeps most biting bugs, including ticks, off of you. They look and feel like any other jeans. So unless I'm working in town I'll be wearing these.

Normally don't wear jeans to work though, they don't hold up well enough. So I buy lightweight black slacks from Walmart for $14 and don't worry about them too much! Them and a pocket t-shirt. My standard.

L.
Are they only good until washed as far as tick repellent goes?

Status
Not open for further replies.