Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ,360 degree rule

,360 degree rule

I have an interesting scenario and question for you guys when running service entrance conductors from the utility to a meter Bank if the conduit is encased in two inches of concrete and considered outside the building am I allowed to have more than 360 Degrees if not what would you use to reset the 360 being that it has to be encased in concrete I'm trying to avoid an extremely expensive concrete manhole I guess my main question is does the rule apply to service entrance conductors outside the building

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickelec View Post
    I have an interesting scenario and question for you guys. When running service entrance conductors from the utility to a meter Bank, if the conduit is encased in two inches of concrete and considered outside the building, am I allowed to have more than 360 Degrees? If not what would you use to reset the 360 being that it has to be encased in concrete? I'm trying to avoid an extremely expensive concrete manhole. I guess my main question is does the rule apply to service entrance conductors outside the building

Ahhh, much more comprehensible with punctuation and capitalization.

My guess would be, yes the 360° rule still applies.

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Ahhh, much more comprehensible with punctuation and capitalization.

My guess would be, yes the 360° rule still applies.
    Sorry I was making this topic up while driving and was speaking into my phone lol.

There seems to be no other option then installing the concrete pull box ,that I can think of

The requirement for encased in concrete comes from the utility, I presume?
    Rather than a full manhole could you just go with a pull box/handhole with 2" or thicker lid?
    Not nearly as expensive.

Also, the 360 limit is NEC, which would not apply on the POCO side of the service point. Will POCO accept more bends and do you think it could be pulled successfully?

Yes the requirement comes from the utility. What type of pull box hang whole do you mean? we're only allowed to use Concrete in this neck of the woods

Yes the requirement comes from the utility. What type of pull box hang whole do you mean? we're only allowed to use Concrete in this neck of the woods

You can get a precast concrete box, AFAIK. If it has to have a floor too, that could be poured.
    One thing is not clear to me: Is the run actually inside the footprint of the building? If so NEC requires the concrete encasement too.

Yes the run is inside the footprint of the building that's why I'm trying to avoid a concrete or Precast box it's kind of stupid . Putting a concrete box inside of a building that is in my opinion

Yes the run is inside the footprint of the building that's why I'm trying to avoid a concrete or Precast box it's kind of stupid . Putting a concrete box inside of a building that is in my opinion

Well, if you are going to look at it from that perspective, what is really kind of stupid is putting the meter that far inside the building, no?

I completely agree but again we come across this problem as electricians between us and the engineers and sometimes you just have to do what they want