Heat Pump connection and code questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

etbrown4

Is it true that a fan coil unit located in a residential crawl space would require breakers on the heat strips or a separate disconnect at the FCU at this location?

I know there has been a lot of discussion over the years about fusible or non-fusible disconnects for outdoor AC condensers. Almost for sure inspectors in some areas or states allow non-fusible disconnects, as I see them everywhere in our area. Is the NEC specific on requiring them as I believe many brands of AC units state on the nameplate, "max fuse size" and that's the language that many inspectors go by, though some don;t.

Anyone know what color energizes the 4 way on a Ruud condenser?

kwired

Electron manager
Only thing the NEC requires within sight (or on the unit) is a disconnecting means. Overcurrent protection is necessary but doesn't have to be at the unit. Fan coil units with electric often have circuit breakers installed though. This gives you the option to run multiple circuits or one single circuit big enough to power the entire unit in many instances.

Whether or not 110.26 working clearances are required for this mostly depends on the local AHJ and how they choose to interpret requirements.

I think orange is the typical reversing valve color, whether it is energized for heating or for cooling can vary though.

Status
Not open for further replies.