Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: home inspector fails house with Aluminum wiring

home inspector fails house with Aluminum wiring

A home inspector just failed a house with aluminum wiring because all the outlets, switches, and light fixtures are not AL rated. He is saying all the devices have to be replaced with AL-Cu types. And all the light fixtures have to have the barrel AL-Cu connectors. Is the seller responsible to pay to have this done? AL devices are about $3 apiece, and the labor for every junction in the whole house would be expensive. Thank you.

A home inspector has no force of law to 'fail' an installation. And no one is required by any law to pony up and fix it. HI's merely point out what might be potential issues. It is then up to the seller and potential buyer to negotiate given that information.

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    A home inspector has no force of law to 'fail' an installation. And no one is required by any law to pony up and fix it. HI's merely point out what might be potential issues. It is then up to the seller and potential buyer to negotiate given that information.
    Ditto.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-12-17 at 08:44 PM.

Sounds like the HI is correct. Improper aluminum terminations are a potential fire hazard and he made the correct diagnosis. As stated he cannot fail anything but can suggest a correction or further evaluation by an electrician. IMO if the HI's finding are all true then the seller is on the hook for this one.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    ............... IMO if the HI's finding are all true then the seller is on the hook for this one.
    Not necessarily. The buyer could offer to buy at a lower price with no conditions.

The buyer could also say no big deal and pay the full price.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenfyeager View Post
    A home inspector just failed a house with aluminum wiring because all the outlets, switches, and light fixtures are not AL rated. He is saying all the devices have to be replaced with AL-Cu types. And all the light fixtures have to have the barrel AL-Cu connectors. Is the seller responsible to pay to have this done? AL devices are about $3 apiece, and the labor for every junction in the whole house would be expensive. Thank you.
    I don't think it is legalistically correct to say he "failed" it. He did point out some legitimate issues that the buyer should at least know about going into the deal.

Beyond that, it is up to the buyer, seller, mortgage holder, and insurer to collectively determine what if any corrective action is made, or who pays for it if some action is taken.

Personally, I do not think it is appropriate for the HI to be recommending what the fix should be for any problem he finds with the house. That should be up to a professional in that line of work, and not the HI.
    Bob

...will bank qualify mortgage after reading HI report? HI seems more knowledgeable than most.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Funny how the HI even knows if the devices are correct or not. I say that because I hear them say all the time that they don't/won't/can't remove devices. They only remove the panel covers. They don't (at least in my area) even take the device cover plates off.

I always thought it odd that they will remove a panel cover but not a switch or receptacle cover!
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

I might guess that if a good inspector sees that an older home was constructed with Al wire, he will specifically look to see if a representative sample of the devices are rated for it.