Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: GFCI Protection on Basement Receptacle

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Knoxville,TN
    Posts
    11
    Doesn't it say 150v or less?
    If you are using 240v, it's not required to have GFCI.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    23,531
    Quote Originally Posted by manic67 View Post
    Doesn't it say 150v or less?
    If you are using 240v, it's not required to have GFCI.
    I says 150 volts to ground or less . A 240 volt circuit would still be 120 volts to ground from either leg.

    210.8(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All single-phase receptaclesrated 150 volts to ground or less, 50 amperes or less and three-
    phase receptacles rated 150 volts to ground or less,
    100 amperes or less installed in the following locations shall
    have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,061
    So if one put a laundry room in said basement, do you need GFCI protection on 30 amp electric dryer receptacles?

    In a dwelling I think it is clear you don't need GFCI protection, but in other then dwelling applications it depends on what you call unfinished or not intended as habitable rooms.

    Curious as to why the change, why just for other then dwellings. There are many on grade level applications that really aren't all that different then an unfinished basement but as worded they wouldn't require GFCI.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,505
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    Would a single-phase 240-volt, 30-amp receptacle outlet in an unfinished basement of a 24 unit multifamily dwelling building require GFCI protection under 210.8(B) of the 2017 Code?
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    So if one put a laundry room in said basement, do you need GFCI protection on 30 amp electric dryer receptacles?

    In a dwelling I think it is clear you don't need GFCI protection, but in other then dwelling applications it depends on what you call unfinished or not intended as habitable rooms.
    I find it hard to think of an electric clothes dryer in an unfinished basement of a 24 unit multifamily dwelling as being anything connected as part of any one of those dwelling units. Rather, the electric dryer is in the common area outside of the dwellings, i.e., in the "nondwelling" space of the building.
    Another Al in Minnesota

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,061
    Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    I find it hard to think of an electric clothes dryer in an unfinished basement of a 24 unit multifamily dwelling as being anything connected as part of any one of those dwelling units. Rather, the electric dryer is in the common area outside of the dwellings, i.e., in the "nondwelling" space of the building.
    I agree it is not connected as a part of any one of the dwelling units.

    Now how do we determine what is "unfinished basement" which may or may not dictate the need for GFCI protection with the new change?

    Yet is kind of stupid that for the same situation in an unfinished basement of an actual dwelling would not require GFCI

    I'd like to know what the justification was for some of the changes to 210.8.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South of Bawstin
    Posts
    1,105
    Now how do we determine what is "unfinished basement" which may or may not dictate the need for GFCI protection with the new change?
    They added areas that are not "habitable" to clear that up...

    Yet is kind of stupid that for the same situation in an unfinished basement of an actual dwelling would not require GFCI
    I agree

    I'd like to know what the justification was for some of the changes to 210.8.
    People getting electrocuted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •