Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GFCI Protection on Basement Receptacle

GFCI Protection on Basement Receptacle

Would a single-phase 240-volt, 30-amp receptacle outlet in an unfinished basement of a 24 unit multifamily dwelling building require GFCI protection under 210.8(B) of the 2017 Code?

Yes since it's not within the dwelling unit.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I like your interpretation. Although I think it could be interpreted that the basement is associated with the dwelling units.

I am curious as to why the new rule is only for 210.8(B) applications, "other than dwelling units", and not for dwelling units where there is an equal hazard probability...at least in the unfinished basement of a dwelling unit.

Unfinished areas of a basement are required to be gfci in a dwelling

210.8(A)(5) Unfinished portions or areas of the basement not intended
    as habitable rooms
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    I like your interpretation. Although I think it could be interpreted that the basement is associated with the dwelling units.

I am curious as to why the new rule is only for 210.8(B) applications, "other than dwelling units", and not for dwelling units where there is an equal hazard probability...at least in the unfinished basement of a dwelling unit.
    Well if you're now saying that the basement is part of the dwelling unit then that kind of changes what you stated in the OP. So if it is part of the unit then you're correct no GFCI protection is required under the 2017 NEC.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Well if you're now saying that the basement is part of the dwelling unit then that kind of changes what you stated in the OP. So if it is part of the unit then you're correct no GFCI protection is required under the 2017 NEC.
    Well, you can not access the basement from the dwelling units, but it is part of the same structure.

Some of these multi-family structures may or may not provide access to the dwellers. For example, I have seen instances where each dwelling unit will have access to the basement area where there is a caged area for seasonal storage,etc for each unit. Other instances of these structures may not provide access to the dwellers as only equipment may be down there such as furnaces, hot water heaters, etc. and the building owner is the only one accessing the basement space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Unfinished areas of a basement are required to be gfci in a dwelling
    I was opening a discussion to the applicability of the new 2017 210.8(B) to a multi-family structure with unfinished basements.

This could be dwelling type structures such as...

1. A high or low rise apartment building
    2. A high or low rise condo building

All with a common unfinished basements.

Here's the 2017 NEC definition of a dwelling unit, IMO you would be hard pressed to call a unfinished basement accessible to all occupants a part of the dwelling unit.

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and inde‐pendent living facilities for one or more persons, including
    permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanita‐
    tion.
    Rob

240 volt GFCI protection

What type of breaker or receptacle is available for 240V 30 amp circuits?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg1707 View Post
    What type of breaker or receptacle is available for 240V 30 amp circuits?
    30 amp GFCI breakers do exist (both sp and dp) -Siemens, Sqd, GE, etc do make them.

And obviously you don't need to worry about having a receptacle of said rating if you have the breaker to protect receptacle.