Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it possible for me to be an electrician?

Quote Originally Posted by Listenupjunior View Post
    The issue is that I have a misdemeanor charge that I didn't get convicted for and I got it expunged.
    In that case, my take is that it never happened, and you never need to mention it. I am not suggesting that you lie on any employment application form. I am saying that, as best I understand the law, which is not to be relied on too heavily, the law is essentially unaware that this incident ever took place.

All previous joking aside, show that you are willing to do the grunt work and that you are eager to learn, and you will do well. I wish you the best in your new career.

Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Oh, and by the way, do stick around on this forum. It is a great place to learn the trade. I suggest that you keep a copy of the NEC handy. Whenever someone posts a question or a response that includes a code article, open the book to that article and see what it says for yourself.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Oh, and by the way, do stick around on this forum. It is a great place to learn the trade. I suggest that you keep a copy of the NEC handy. Whenever someone posts a question or a response that includes a code article, open the book to that article and see what it says for yourself.
    ...because many of us disagree on what it says.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by Listenupjunior View Post
    I'm 22 years old and thinking about going to trade school. The issue is that I have a misdemeanor charge that I didn't get convicted for and I got it expunged. Is it possible for me to still be an electrician?
    As mentioned even a felony wound't keep you from being an electrician. It may deter certain potential employers from hiring you but won't make you ineligible for apprenticeships or licensing process as a general rule.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    As mentioned even a felony wound't keep you from being an electrician.
    Careful, not true in many jurisdictions. Some will allow you to ask for a hearing to plead your case when applying for a license, but what I call "moral clauses" do exist in some places.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Careful, not true in many jurisdictions. Some will allow you to ask for a hearing to plead your case when applying for a license, but what I call "moral clauses" do exist in some places.
    So in some places they would rather put such a person on welfare and let everyone pay for his living then to let him have a job (possibly a good job on top of that) and he supports himself, maybe even contributes to the economy in general because he can afford to spend money on more then just basic needs?

As mentioned even a felony wound't keep you from being an electrician. It may deter certain potential employers from hiring you but won't make you ineligible for apprenticeships or licensing process as a general rule.
    I'm not 100% certain, but a felony conviction will prevent one from ever being a licensed electrical contractor in the Great State of Ohio.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    I'm not 100% certain, but a felony conviction will prevent one from ever being a licensed electrical contractor in the Great State of Ohio.
    I could see the contractor license not being allowed, but one could still be a very good electrician on other levels. If an industrial plant is willing to hire the person, such convictions may not matter and the guy may even be head of electrical dept at that plant someday and making more $$$ then some EC license holders possibly make.

So in some places they would rather put such a person on welfare and let everyone pay for his living then to let him have a job (possibly a good job on top of that) and he supports himself, maybe even contributes to the economy in general because he can afford to spend money on more then just basic needs?
    Easy now, I was not commenting for or against such policies, merely stating that they exist.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Easy now, I was not commenting for or against such policies, merely stating that they exist.
    Fair enough, not all rules consider the potential outcome- I will leave it at that.