NEC Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

What about the conductors being fed from separate sources or panel?
I want to say yes. A contactor panel could have 277 lighting contactor loads and 120v time clock closing the contactors.
Motor starters are similar ,,277/480 load with 120 aux holding circuit..But I would have to look it up to be sure.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I want to say yes. A contactor panel could have 277 lighting contactor loads and 120v time clock closing the contactors.
Motor starters are similar ,,277/480 load with 120 aux holding circuit..But I would have to look it up to be sure.

The contactor panel may have different voltages, however I bet most of the time they are fed from separate conduits.

electricalist

Sometimes I'll see hi volt left side xfmr middle low volt right. Connected from hi volt to low volt a raceway- gutter. Out of the top of the gutter the starters and lighting are fed.

rodgie

The reason i asked the question is that i'am going to retire soon. I have maintained this system for about 10 years. It was installed about 24 years ago. I'am woried that the next person that takes over is not going to know that this group of in ground cans is powered by 120 volts but there is also 277 volt runing thru the junction boxes of each can. The photo cell that turns them on and off powers up both the 120 and 277. If you went to the quad and shut down the 120 volt circuits that you are going to work on the 277 panel would still be powered up. So then you go to work on the 120 volt cans that you shut the 120 volt circuits off you still have live 277 volt lines. You all know what could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I changed your text to sentence case because the upper case is hard to read.

If you have both voltages in the jb then are the color coated properly for the different voltages? If not then you may want to put a tag or label in the boxes or tape the 277 v system with different color code

480sparky

I'm referring to the sources of the voltages, not where they're being utilized.

Cavie

What about 480 ac feeder with gfci circuit piped up to the roof ?

You can mix voltages in a conduit in boxes under any condition. Doesn't matter what application or scenario you might think up. All boxes must be labeled with the ckt and panel #. Color code must be labeled at the panel. All insulation must be the same for the higher voltage.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You can mix voltages in a conduit in boxes under any condition. Doesn't matter what application or scenario you might think up. All boxes must be labeled with the ckt and panel #. Color code must be labeled at the panel. All insulation must be the same for the higher voltage.
That is only correct when you are talking about power system conductors. There are restrictions where you are mixing power system and remote control and signaling conductors.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I changed your text to sentence case because the upper case is hard to read.

If you have both voltages in the jb then are the color coated properly for the different voltages? If not then you may want to put a tag or label in the boxes or tape the 277 v system with different color code
Dennis stole my answer, but he always does that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.