Dirty PVC Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
Good Evening. I saw some PVC conduit that had some dirt and some dried glue on the conduit. I was wondering what is the best way to remove the dirt and the dried glue? The contractor tried water and a rag but it did not really help. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks, Bill

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The cleaner/primer that you use before applying the glue (required for pressure piping but optional for electrical)may dissolve the dried glue or the surface of the pipe under it.

Bill Annett

Occupation
I should have been more clear but the conduits are installed on a house. This was a service upgrade that was done while it was raining and that turned to mud which got the conduits muddy. I was trying to just some ideas that would make the install look better.

Thanks, Bill

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I should have been more clear but the conduits are installed on a house. This was a service upgrade that was done while it was raining and that turned to mud which got the conduits muddy. I was trying to just some ideas that would make the install look better.

Thanks, Bill
PVC is not as UV stable as we would like when it is exposed on the side of a house, it become brittle and subject to impact damage. I always recommend painting it with a water based (latex) outdoor rated paint after it is inspected (the AHJs usually want to see that it is electrical PVC, not plumbing).

Paint then is like what my Italian mother always says about a good pasta sauce; it covers a multitude of sins.

ceb58

PVC is not as UV stable as we would like when it is exposed on the side of a house, it become brittle and subject to impact damage. I always recommend painting it with a water based (latex) outdoor rated paint after it is inspected (the AHJs usually want to see that it is electrical PVC, not plumbing).

Paint then is like what my Italian mother always says about a good pasta sauce; it covers a multitude of sins.

I think it is Krylon that makes a spray paint for plastic. It works better for PVC than regular paint

kwired

Electron manager
I think it is Krylon that makes a spray paint for plastic. It works better for PVC than regular paint
Any truth behind it working better for plastics or is that just a marketing scheme for the most part? Most paints last longer on most any non porous surfaces as moisture doesn't get in behind the paint and cause deterioration like it does for wood or other similar surfaces.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Thanks for the information. One electrician told me that his boss told him that he uses mineral spirits to clean the PVC conduits. I have never seen done but after I did a search on the internet, it might work.

Thanks Again, Bill

kwired

Electron manager

Thanks, Bill
If it is just mud a fairly mild general purpose cleaner should work pretty well.

delectric123

Acetone works great for cleaning PVC but it also removes the marking on the pipe. It cleans just as good as PVC primer without removing the gloss and softening the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.