PPE and when it is required

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymonwa

I work for a large seed company and thier seems to be some confusion on when the arc flash label PPE requirements are nesessary. can anyone help out or direct me to the proper documentation?

so the question is at what point does the ppe on the arc flash label on the panel need to be enforced? is it as soon as you step into the boundry regardless of covers and doors? example if you were to open the door (but all the covers are still on) of a class 1 480v breaker panel and just look at or take a IR picture of the breakers and then close the door is full ppe listed on the arc flash label required to be worn? how about if you simply walk by the panel within the boundry with everything closed up? I have herd yes and no but i cant seem to find a black and white answer.

thanks

magoo5150

If there are exposed live, or not yet verified dead conductors, proper PPE must be worn as identified through an arc flash survey. Refer to the tables in NFPA 70E for specific. There are to many variables to list on this thread.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I work for a large seed company and thier seems to be some confusion on when the arc flash label PPE requirements are nesessary. can anyone help out or direct me to the proper documentation?

so the question is at what point does the ppe on the arc flash label on the panel need to be enforced? is it as soon as you step into the boundry regardless of covers and doors? example if you were to open the door (but all the covers are still on) of a class 1 480v breaker panel and just look at or take a IR picture of the breakers and then close the door is full ppe listed on the arc flash label required to be worn? how about if you simply walk by the panel within the boundry with everything closed up? I have herd yes and no but i cant seem to find a black and white answer.

thanks

From 70E 2015 article 90.2, you only need to be concerned with PPE when you interact with an energized system, which is install, inspect, operate, maintain or demolish.
70E 2015 table 130.7(C)(15)(A)(a) defines permissible interaction without PPE for many activities: however; the equipment must meet the criteria listed: properly installed; maintained; secured; covered; etc.

kentirwin

From 70E 2015 article 90.2, you only need to be concerned with PPE when you interact with an energized system, which is install, inspect, operate, maintain or demolish.
70E 2015 table 130.7(C)(15)(A)(a) defines permissible interaction without PPE for many activities: however; the equipment must meet the criteria listed: properly installed; maintained; secured; covered; etc.

Properly maintained is key. If switchboard and cb's for example have not been maintained per manufacturer's instructions and/or industry standard you may not be able to even open or close a circuit breaker without arc flash ppe appropriate to the available incident energy.

big john

Properly maintained is key. If switchboard and cb's for example have not been maintained per manufacturer's instructions and/or industry standard you may not be able to even open or close a circuit breaker without arc flash ppe appropriate to the available incident energy.
Absolutely. Have seen quite a few "time delay" circuit breakers as the result of complete lubrication failure, and when you hit the trip button you actually have time to stand back and wait for them to open. If you're hoping for a clearing time in a couple of cycles and it actually takes a couple of seconds, this throws one hell of a wrench in the incident energy calculations.

The other big one is that's very common for us to see gear where the distribution system has changed such that the available fault current now exceeds the SCCR and/or AIC rating of the gear.

zog

Absolutely. Have seen quite a few "time delay" circuit breakers as the result of complete lubrication failure, and when you hit the trip button you actually have time to stand back and wait for them to open. If you're hoping for a clearing time in a couple of cycles and it actually takes a couple of seconds, this throws one hell of a wrench in the incident energy calculations.

Exactly, which is why the 70E has all the references to equipment being "properly maintained", some people think just testing them meets that requirement but there is a lot more to maintenance of breakers than just testing. Maintenance manuals will reference times for the breaker to be PM'ed and overhauled.

The new AC PRO 2 trip units have a "sluggish breaker" feature that would detect issues like this, great new feature. http://www.utilityrelay.com/Products/AC-PRO-II.html

Status
Not open for further replies.