6-15R in residential

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any more details yet, so I'll try asking with what info I have ..

A customer is looking to have a 240v, 15A branch circuit installed in his "workshop" (not yet sure if he means "garage") for some power tool made in France (or brought from there).
The only 240v resi circuit that we ever deal with is the 30A dryer, but in this case we'll need to install 6-15R or a 6-20R, by the sound of it.

Question 1: Are such circuits allowed in residential environment? Or at least in a garage of a residential house?
Question 2: They have kids, so he was asking about tamper-proofing. Do they make either 6-15 or 6-20 in TR?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
bunny-faces.jpg

Marge: She's not afraid of bunnies!
Homer: She WILL be.

iwire

Staff member
FWIW, there's one in my garage, permitted/installed when it was built by the previous owner. Why would they be not allowed?

The appliance the outlet is for must be rated over 1440va.

210.6 Branch-Circuit Voltage Limitations. The nominal voltage of branch circuits shall not exceed the values per-mitted by 210.6(A) through (E).

(A) Occupancy Limitation. In dwelling units and guest rooms or guest suites of hotels, motels, and similar oc-cupancies, the voltage shall not exceed 120 volts, nominal, between conductors that supply the terminals of the following:

(1) Luminaires

(2) Cord-and-plug-connected loads 1440 volt-amperes, nominal, or less or less than 1?4 hp

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you install the receptacle above 5'6" then tamper-resistant devices are not required.

Thanks folks, especially infinity and iwire.

Got more details..
The "workshop" is actually a dining room converted into a sewing shop, and the "power tool" is a 3kW iron/steamer table.

Got a feeling they won't be happy with 5'6"
Will have to talk to AHJ to see if they would allow to go lower, maybe 5'

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The appliance the outlet is for must be rated over 1440va.

I honestly never noticed that but have to ask.. how is one supposed to restrict the load for a 240v "shop" outlet other than the branch circuit ampacity ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
406.12 ... (A) Dwelling Units. In all areas specified in 210.52, all nonlocking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.