Call my self Mr. MH problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

Went to install a supplement ground rod, pounding down the utility existing one (poco said it was a 10 footer but I never saw a 10 footer in a 5/8 size) but anyway it went down another foot, so now we have 9' contacting ground but when I went for the extra one, it only went 7' and bended. See the photos, I straightened it out but bended again. I installed a piece of conduit to try Monday (too tired today)to see if it help no to bend.
Anyone with that experience? This is a first time it happened to me.
If not possible to go down further and I don't want to dig a trench, will the inspector approve to bend a 90 this exposed foot? Also, I left poco EGC there (inspector sugestion) and add the new EGC to the disconnect and bonded to poco rod and will to the new rod.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would leave it as is and explain to the EI. Worst he can do is make you drive another one and I would do that on a SEVERE angle.

electricalist

If there is an existing rod(poco) and you drove your 6 ft away and were bonded to both ,would this be 2 rods? legal or does the 2 rods rule have to be two new at install?

Cavie

Using existing rod is legal but not smart in Florida. There is a good bet that soil conditions have reduced the rod to about 3" long.

kwired

Electron manager
Using existing rod is legal but not smart in Florida. There is a good bet that soil conditions have reduced the rod to about 3" long.
If soil is that corrosive I think it would be a good idea to rely on some other electrode or maybe at least other rod type - maybe stainless?

PVC coated rod would work great for corrosion but probably a very poor electrode:cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is what I would do

Hacksaw-Award.jpeg

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Went to install a supplement ground rod, pounding down the utility existing one (poco said it was a 10 footer but I never saw a 10 footer in a 5/8 size) but anyway it went down another foot, so now we have 9' contacting ground but when I went for the extra one, it only went 7' and bended. See the photos, I straightened it out but bended again. I installed a piece of conduit to try Monday (too tired today)to see if it help no to bend.
Anyone with that experience? This is a first time it happened to me.
If not possible to go down further and I don't want to dig a trench, will the inspector approve to bend a 90 this exposed foot? Also, I left poco EGC there (inspector sugestion) and add the new EGC to the disconnect and bonded to poco rod and will to the new rod.

7' is not 8' . Now if the 10' is in at 9' then I agree with the hacksaw method.

vango

I agree with Dennis also grab the water line within 5' of entering the building. Use T250.66 for your water or is it 250.102 now in your area?

vango

Status
Not open for further replies.