Article 680 Swimming Pool Code Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosley

For an above ground pool:

1) How far can the heater and filter be placed from the pool?

Article 680.12 states "...Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment and shall be located at least 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of a pool..." If I am reading this correctly, if the disconnect for the heater, and the heater, are located 25' from the inside wall of the pool, this would be acceptable, correct?

Article 680.22(A)(1) states "...Receptacles that provide power for water-pump motors or for other loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system shall be located at least 10 ft from the inside walls of the pool..." If I am reading this correctly, if the filter receptacle, and the filter, are located 25' from the inside wall of the pool, this would be acceptable, correct?

2) The heater specs call for a 60A maximum fuse size, and Minimum Circuit Ampacity of 35A. So this would require a 60A breaker, and 6 AWG wire, correct?

3) Does the pool heater require GFCI protection?

Thanks in advance.

Cavie

For an above ground pool:

1) How far can the heater and filter be placed from the pool?

Article 680.12 states "...Each means shall be readily accessible and within sight from its equipment and shall be located at least 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of a pool..." If I am reading this correctly, if the disconnect for the heater, and the heater, are located 25' from the inside wall of the pool, this would be acceptable, correct?

Article 680.22(A)(1) states "...Receptacles that provide power for water-pump motors or for other loads directly related to the circulation and sanitation system shall be located at least 10 ft from the inside walls of the pool..." If I am reading this correctly, if the filter receptacle, and the filter, are located 25' from the inside wall of the pool, this would be acceptable, correct?

2) The heater specs call for a 60A maximum fuse size, and Minimum Circuit Ampacity of 35A So this would require a 60A breaker, and 6 AWG wire, correct? no, min #8

3) Does the pool heater require GFCI protection? NO

Thanks in advance.

Answers in red.

mosley

Thanks Cavie.

I am not understanding the 60A fuse size and Minimum Circuit Ampacity of 35A requirements. Can you explain or refer me to material that might help?

Thanks again.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thanks Cavie.

I am not understanding the 60A fuse size and Minimum Circuit Ampacity of 35A requirements. Can you explain or refer me to material that might help?

Thanks again.

I don't get it either. Usually numbers like that have to do with motors not heaters. The heat kw should be multiplied by 125% to give the minimum circuit ampacity. The max fuse should be at 150%.

It does not make sense that the mca is 35 amps. If that were so then the heater load is 28 amps and the max overcurrent protective device would be 50, IMO.

Cavie

A pool heater showing min and max loads is just a A/C compressor with a heat exchanger. Motor has overload protection

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A pool heater showing min and max loads is just a A/C compressor with a heat exchanger. Motor has overload protection

Thanks Cavie-- I forgot it's a heat pump and not heat strips.... Doh-- I have done 5 or 6 of them and still the brain didn't connect.

For the op. You could run a #10 thhn and still use a 60 amp overcurrent protective device. The heat pump has overload protection which will protect the conductor from over heating and the breaker will protect it from short circuit and ground fault.

Article 240.4(G) will allow the use of #10 at 35 amps assuming it is 75C-- otherwise you need to go to #8.

Cavie

Thanks Cavie-- I forgot it's a heat pump and not heat strips.... Doh-- I have done 5 or 6 of them and still the brain didn't connect.

For the op. You could run a #10 thhn and still use a 60 amp overcurrent protective device. The heat pump has overload protection which will protect the conductor from over heating and the breaker will protect it from short circuit and ground fault.

Article 240.4(G) will allow the use of #10 at 35 amps assuming it is 75C-- otherwise you need to go to #8.

Yea, I kinda thought you were asleep at the wheel. Figured you be back directly. I do believe the 35 amps would require 8 because of the NEC #10 restriction to 30 amps. Been that why round these parts for my 45 years

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yea, I kinda thought you were asleep at the wheel. Figured you be back directly. I do believe the 35 amps would require 8 because of the NEC #10 restriction to 30 amps. Been that why round these parts for my 45 years

Yes but 240.4(G) allows us to not use the 30 amp restriction in 240.4(D) so a #10 would be compliant if it were not wired in NM and had a 75C rating

mosley

OK, I just saw the rating plate on the heater itself. The specs are a bit different than I was told:

Min. Circuit Ampacity 42.4 would require the minumum gauge THHN wire to be #8, correct? Table 310.15(B)(16)?

And Max Circuit 70 amp time delay fuse or 70 amp breaker would require 70A to be the largest circuit breaker, correct? Does this mean there is a minimum size circuit breaker that can be used?

Cavie

OK, I just saw the rating plate on the heater itself. The specs are a bit different than I was told:

Min. Circuit Ampacity 42.4 would require the minumum gauge THHN wire to be #8, correct? Table 310.15(B)(16)? YES

And Max Circuit 70 amp time delay fuse or 70 amp breaker would require 70A to be the largest circuit breaker, correct? yes Does this mean there is a minimum size circuit breaker that can be used?

That's always been a subject of debate as there is no answer in the NEC. Around these parts in considered that you must install the max fuse/breaker. With the Florida thunder storms during the summer it is a good idea to prevent tripping. lots of hard starts during a storm.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It is clear that the breaker must be large enough to meet the Minimum Circuit Ampacity.
At the other end it cannot be larger than the Maximum Fuse or Maximum OCPD (no next size up.)
It is also agreed that anything smaller will increase the chance of nuisance trips.

iwire

Staff member
That's always been a subject of debate as there is no answer in the NEC. Around these parts in considered that you must install the max fuse/breaker.

What?

The NEC does have an answer, they give a minimum and maximum, you must be in that range.

There is no NEC rule your area can cite to force an EC to install the max fuse or breaker size. I fully agree that using the max size is a good idea but it is in no way a code requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.