Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Door Hold Open Magnets between 2 buildings

Door Hold Open Magnets between 2 buildings

When you have 2 connecting buildings and want to install door mags to hold open the doors what do you do? My choice seems to be, tie both smoke detectors into building "A"and add signage to the smoke in building "B" or tie each smokes into each building where they are located. Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by nietzj View Post
    When you have 2 connecting buildings and want to install door mags to hold open the doors what do you do? My choice seems to be, tie both smoke detectors into building "A"and add signage to the smoke in building "B" or tie each smokes into each building where they are located. Help Please
    Are you releasing the doors via detector relay bases or are you using addressable output modules? Is there one set of doors between the buildings or is it like an interconnecting bridge with a set of doors at each end?

Do they share same fire alarm panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's actually a tunnel between 2 buildings, each building has it's own fire alarm system, one Simplex the other Notifier. I would like to just put them on them one of the systems and add signage so folks will know when testing, kinda complicated, hate to have a system from one building controlling a smoke in another building but I think it makes the most sense. There is one set of doors and I could use either a relay or a relay based smoke, both systems are addressable.

Quote Originally Posted by nietzj View Post
    It's actually a tunnel between 2 buildings, each building has it's own fire alarm system, one Simplex the other Notifier. I would like to just put them on them one of the systems and add signage so folks will know when testing, kinda complicated, hate to have a system from one building controlling a smoke in another building but I think it makes the most sense. There is one set of doors and I could use either a relay or a relay based smoke, both systems are addressable.
    Drive a relay from each building's alarm system. Wire power for the door magnets through both relays, in series. That way, if either alarm system trips, the doors close.

SceneryDriver

Quote Originally Posted by SceneryDriver View Post
    Drive a relay from each building's alarm system. Wire power for the door magnets through both relays, in series. That way, if either alarm system trips, the doors close.

SceneryDriver
    ^^^Excellent suggestion! I'd go with "Plan A".

Smoke In Tunnel

NFPA 72 2010 edition:
    FIGURE A.17.4.7(b) Wiring Arrangements for Four-Wire Detectors. If they are four wire or 3 wire base type w /power supervision relay one controller

Quote Originally Posted by nec_addicted View Post
    NFPA 72 2010 edition:
    FIGURE A.17.4.7(b) Wiring Arrangements for Four-Wire Detectors. If they are four wire or 3 wire base type w /power supervision relay one controller
    This comment makes no sense. The OP wants to know how to wire relays to allow either of two separate fire alarm panels to close some doors on mag holders. It has nothing to do with monitoring a 3-wire or 4-wire circuit for presence of power. SceneryDriver's suggestion is an excellent solution.

Quote Originally Posted by SceneryDriver View Post

SceneryDriver
    It may be of no consequence since the door holder will fail to door closed state if power or continuity is lost, but the proposed solution does not allow for supervision of the door circuit itself.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    It may be of no consequence since the door holder will fail to door closed state if power or continuity is lost, but the proposed solution does not allow for supervision of the door circuit itself.

I have never known of a supervised door holder circuit.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!