Why is my inspector rejecting UL and NEC listed equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Pokalsky SPE

I have purchased an ringless metered RV Pedestal manufactured by General Electric. They are self contained pre-wired earth mounted pedestals that have a streamlined and inconspicuous appearance.
They are UL and NEC listed, however the inspector is citing a 9" isolated section of the self contained unit as a raceway and rejecting the UL and NEC listed equipment.
I informed him of the 2 foot limit and the fact that the unit has been approved by UL and NEC is enough to pass inspection , however he will not budge.
In addition, the inspector has cited me for not encasing USE-2 direct burial device entrance conductors in conduit.
The funny thing is, that the inspector applied the final inspection Green sticker showing meets NEC code on April 13, then asked for additional payment for having his boss accompany him, which I told him where to find that money, and then 5 days later he sends out a long list of objections that should have been noted way back in November.
How do you handle a corrupt inspector ? :?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have purchased an ringless metered RV Pedestal manufactured by General Electric. They are self contained pre-wired earth mounted pedestals that have a streamlined and inconspicuous appearance.
They are UL and NEC listed, however the inspector is citing a 9" isolated section of the self contained unit as a raceway and rejecting the UL and NEC listed equipment.
I informed him of the 2 foot limit and the fact that the unit has been approved by UL and NEC is enough to pass inspection , however he will not budge.
In addition, the inspector has cited me for not encasing USE-2 direct burial device entrance conductors in conduit.
The funny thing is, that the inspector applied the final inspection Green sticker showing meets NEC code on April 13, then asked for additional payment for having his boss accompany him, which I told him where to find that money, and then 5 days later he sends out a long list of objections that should have been noted way back in November.

NEC does not list anything, so I don't know what you mean by that.

I don't know what you mean by the 2 foot limit either. It appears to me that DB cable of any kind below grade to 2 feet would need some kind of protection.

This would appear to be a feeder. Can you even use USE for this?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Your location states NYC is this a city inspector or is it in some other New York jurisdiction?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Cavie

If the ped is accepted by the POCO it is good to go. The direct burry cable must be in conduit for the first 2'. Talk to his boss.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Welcome to the Forum!

So you are a EE, Then why are you performing the installation?

growler

:)

The inspector does not sound like he is corrupt but that he was not sure of what he was doing on the first inspection.

A long list of taged items may not be that bad. What does he actually want you to do to correct these items?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Told him where he could find the money? Sounds to me like you copped an attitude with the guy. If he saw something that he had never seen before and had to bring his boss out to take a look at it with him, that's the risk of using something new and unusual, we all suffer that same risk. But when you copped the belligerent attitude rather than be grateful that you already HAD the green light, he decided to rescind the approval, stick to his previous reservations and make you clean it all up to HIS satisfaction. UL listing ALLOWS the AHJ the OPTION of acceptance without further investigation, but they are not BOUND to accept everything they see with a listing mark on it. And as others pointed out, there is no such thing as "NEC listed" so if you continually used that term, you exposed to him that you did not know what you were talking about. Now you are ranting about corruption??? Prepare to have your entire project go to hell in a hand basket!

Your not an electrical contractor, are you? Because an EC worth his salt would know better than to poke the bear with a stick, especially AFTER he was ready to take some honey and walk away.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Told him where he could find the money?

what you were talking about. Now you are ranting about corruption??? Prepare to have your entire project go to hell in a hand basket!

Your not an electrical contractor, are you? Because an EC worth his salt would know better than to poke the bear with a stick, especially AFTER he was ready to take some honey and walk away.

I'd have a problem with any inspector looking for extra money unless it was in writing and because of a return visit.

mgookin

Let's assume this is what you installed, spec'd, or whatever. http://apps.geindustrial.com/publibrary/checkout/DET-709A?TNR=Brochures|DET-709A|generic

It is UL (USA) and CUL (Canada) listed and it says:
Suitable for use as Service Entrance Equipment when

installed in accordance with the National Electric Code

So, did you install it "in accordance with the NEC" as it says? Isn't that what the inspector is looking for? The "in accordance" part?

I'm not going to respond to your bizarre allegations.

We are here to help you with understanding the listing part & the compliance with the NEC and how the two go together.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Alas....you are running up against an "AHJ". I, as a (former) AHJ from the POCO would have issues with the ringless socket, among other things. All utilities have their own requirements, independent of the NEC, NEMA, IEEE, or any other alphabet soup. Best thing to do is find out what the POCO requires and just comply. They, after all, have the "POWER". And no, they aren't in it for the money. They just have to be consistent, so the next guy doesn't give you the "You let HIM do it!" sob story. You can cry to the inspector's boss, but that will likely make things worse. Real world....sorry!

Cavie

Alas....you are running up against an "AHJ". I, as a (former) AHJ from the POCO would have issues with the ringless socket, among other things. All utilities have their own requirements, independent of the NEC, NEMA, IEEE, or any other alphabet soup. Best thing to do is find out what the POCO requires and just comply. They, after all, have the "POWER". And no, they aren't in it for the money. They just have to be consistent, so the next guy doesn't give you the "You let HIM do it!" sob story. You can cry to the inspector's boss, but that will likely make things worse. Real world....sorry!

Why would you have issues with a "ringless socket?" I have been using them for over 40 years. Required by the POCO.

meternerd

Occupation
Why would you have issues with a "ringless socket?" I have been using them for over 40 years. Required by the POCO.

We require a locking meter ring on the meter so ringless is not an option. Too many "creative" electricians bypassing the meter. Plus, removing the meter requires removing the meter cover. Our meter readers are allowed to pull meters, but are not allowed to remove covers....a safety decision we made based on PPE requirements from arc flash studies. With remote read meters, we seldom actually visit the meter, so cut meter seals can go undiscovered for quite a while. Also, on three phase, the lever bypass was a real headache...removing the meter by pushing up the lever released the jaws, which allowed the meter to fall out. Also, the load side was still hot. We now use bypass jumpers and require a stud type test/bypass per EUSERC requirements. Probably just a local thing, though.

meternerd

Occupation
Instead of asking where to get the money, he should have asked what kind of donuts he likes, and does he take his coffee black :angel:

Utility guys never drink coffee....makes it too hard to fall asleep in your truck.:D

mgookin

We require a locking meter ring on the meter so ringless is not an option. Too many "creative" electricians bypassing the meter. Plus, removing the meter requires removing the meter cover. Our meter readers are allowed to pull meters, but are not allowed to remove covers....a safety decision we made based on PPE requirements from arc flash studies. With remote read meters, we seldom actually visit the meter, so cut meter seals can go undiscovered for quite a while. Also, on three phase, the lever bypass was a real headache...removing the meter by pushing up the lever released the jaws, which allowed the meter to fall out. Also, the load side was still hot. We now use bypass jumpers and require a stud type test/bypass per EUSERC requirements. Probably just a local thing, though.

I'ts nice having your POCO perspective & experience here on the forum. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.