Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 44 of 44

Thread: Dimmer 0-10v

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    No you cannot! Go back and read 725.136(I)(1). If it was as easy as you say you could use 4-wire MC and if that were the case why do you think wire manufacturers went through the trouble to produce luminary cable MC?

    -Hal
    If all the components used allow for it, you can reclassify them as class 1.

    A plausible explanation for your question. It's not always desirable to do so. Using luminary cable allows the control side to remain class 2. This allows the power and control to run together for a portion of the system and allow it to be separated at a node and allow it to branch off as class 2 wiring if needed. If you did reclassify, every piece of control, connection and wiring have to be treated like they're live at line potential.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric-Light View Post
    If all the components used allow for it, you can reclassify them as class 1.

    A plausible explanation for your question. It's not always desirable to do so. Using luminary cable allows the control side to remain class 2. This allows the power and control to run together for a portion of the system and allow it to be separated at a node and allow it to branch off as class 2 wiring if needed. If you did reclassify, every piece of control, connection and wiring have to be treated like they're live at line potential.
    Not to mention all the fusing/OCPD you'd need to install.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Not to mention all the fusing/OCPD you'd need to install.
    Read the code, you don't have to install fusing. Also, how do you separate the power wires from the class II in a junction box with luminary cable? The way I read article 700, you can't splice both the low voltage and the power in the same 4 square junction box and I will tell you that regretfully, that makes sense. I used the luminary cable recently but I reclassified the class II. Sure enough someone crossed the 0-10 with the 277. 104 drivers later... But it could have been an injured person which would be far worse.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    Read the code, you don't have to install fusing. Also, how do you separate the power wires from the class II in a junction box with luminary cable? The way I read article 700, you can't splice both the low voltage and the power in the same 4 square junction box and I will tell you that regretfully, that makes sense. I used the luminary cable recently but I reclassified the class II. Sure enough someone crossed the 0-10 with the 277. 104 drivers later... But it could have been an injured person which would be far worse.
    Going off the top of my head and based on a code review I attended, the former Class II conductors now have to be fused as if they were 120VAC conductors for whatever ampacity they are capable of. The fusing is done at the origin of the Class II conductors. This, at least, is what happens if you reclassify power limited fire alarm cable/conductors to non-power limited.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •