GC doing EC work

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

we have a job where the GC contractor who isnt a EC, is going to install all the conduit and we as the EC will pull wire and install equip.
you guys see a problem or ever done something like that? i once left my so called experienced apprentices to hang some conduit and the next
day went to pull some wire thru it, it all feel off the wall crashing to the floor. Needless to say they were the bosses sons. LOL! i am kinda worried about the same thing happening on this job.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
we have a job where the GC contractor who isnt a EC, is going to install all the conduit and we as the EC will pull wire and install equip.
you guys see a problem or ever done something like that? i once left my so called experienced apprentices to hang some conduit and the next
day went to pull some wire thru it, it all feel off the wall crashing to the floor. Needless to say they were the bosses sons. LOL! i am kinda worried about the same thing happening on this job.
Tell the GC it's fine but your electricians will have some hours to make up, so ask him if it is OK to let them frame some walls and doors and his regular guys can take over once the rough framing is done.

iwire

Staff member
My thoughts

If it is legal or not is an issue handled by each area. Here where I am running electrical conduits requires electricians.

As far as it falling off the wall ... I am never responsible for work I did not do, did not direct or hire someone to do etc.

We often install wires in conduits other contractors have done, if there is a problem with te conduit it is not our responsibility to correct.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If the laws in Texas allow the GC to do it there is no problem from a legal stand point but, as Dave mentions, the GC is taking money away from you and pocketing it for himself.

Roger

growler

If the laws in Texas allow the GC to do it there is no problem from a legal stand point but, as Dave mentions, the GC is taking money away from you and pocketing it for himself.

Roger

Even if it is legal for the GC to run the conduit I would want to see the conduit runs and inspect them before giving a price to pull the wire/cables. Also a clause in the contract (additional cost) to repair any damaged conduit or damaged cable due to bad joints.

I don't see why a GC would want to run conduit anyway I think he will sub it out to a crew that will give a down and dirty price just to throw it in there.

GerryB

This issue has been around a long time. Can the laborer put pvc in the ditch? Can any one drill or punch holes in a stud? Can any one pull romex or cable through those holes? I don't know what type of conduit is being installed but obviously there are code requirements involved. He's taking away your job.

iwire

Staff member
Even if it is legal for the GC to run the conduit I would want to see the conduit runs and inspect them before giving a price to pull the wire/cables. Also a clause in the contract (additional cost) to repair any damaged conduit or damaged cable due to bad joints.

I guess it comes down to what you are used to.

It is very common for us to take jobs where another EC was hired ahead of us to install all the underground conduits for the site and utilities.

We don't look at them first, we assume they are run per the NEC (as their contract requires) and if we run into a problem with the conduits the other EC has to deal with it or we deal with it at a T&M basis.

Its just conduit, it is not rocket science. :)

iwire

Staff member
This issue has been around a long time. Can the laborer put pvc in the ditch? Can any one drill or punch holes in a stud? Can any one pull romex or cable through those holes? I don't know what type of conduit is being installed but obviously there are code requirements involved. He's taking away your job.

In CT a GC running conduit would be a licensing violation, in other areas it would not be.

mwm1752

IMO you are responsible for all installation - if the conduit separates or more than 360 deg in a run or undersized piping or not buried to depth who is responsible -- the EC. There are inspections to be done on your permit. Sure infrastructure has at times been installed by the excavator with no issues but that gennerally happens prior to electrical contract being awarded & is outside the scope of the NEC if prior to the disconnect. I have one now that the Sparky did not do his homework only to find 2 sets of piping for the service lateral he thought was single phase -- it is three phase and is scrambling to adjust the equipment & replace conductors. GC was involved in the install. I have found excavators installing DWV piping for stub outs for infrastructure -- who pays the bill or is denied approval?
Of course you may lose the job - choices choices

growler

I guess it comes down to what you are used to.

It is very common for us to take jobs where another EC was hired ahead of us to install all the underground conduits for the site and utilities.

We don't look at them first, we assume they are run per the NEC (as their contract requires) and if we run into a problem with the conduits the other EC has to deal with it or we deal with it at a T&M basis.

The OP said that his conduit is to be run by the GC and not another EC.

Most of the GCs that I know of don't have a lot of electricians on payroll.

I just don't trust General Contractors. If I had a choice between running over a cat and a GC guess which I would choose?

mwm1752

The OP said that his conduit is to be run by the GC and not another EC.

Most of the GCs that I know of don't have a lot of electricians on payroll.

I just don't trust General Contractors. If I had a choice between running over a cat and a GC guess which I would choose?

Easy choice for you if the GC was holding a cat :bye:

kwired

Electron manager
True to some extent. They at least need to use proper fittings for type of raceway they are running, and secure/support to NEC requirements.

Then comes special situations like hazardous locations, wet locations, PVC in a situation requiring frequent expansion fittings. Throwing a single pipe in a trench may not need too much for skill or knowledge, but not every run is that simple.

I still feel no matter what a journeyman or above needs to be there at least part of the time to help ensure things are going as they should or to give it a look before it gets covered - especially if no other inspector will be looking at it.

Drilling holes in framing members - GC better understand if the framing member is weakened because it wasn't drilled in correct place it isn't the EC's fault, though if the EC recognizes it is wrong he should refuse to pull cables/raceways through the holes to begin with or at least without notifying the GC and documenting the problem just as a CYA thing.

iwire

Staff member
True to some extent. They at least need to use proper fittings for type of raceway they are running, and secure/support to NEC requirements.

Then comes special situations like hazardous locations, wet locations, PVC in a situation requiring frequent expansion fittings. Throwing a single pipe in a trench may not need too much for skill or knowledge, but not every run is that simple.

I still feel no matter what a journeyman or above needs to be there at least part of the time to help ensure things are going as they should or to give it a look before it gets covered - especially if no other inspector will be looking at it.

Drilling holes in framing members - GC better understand if the framing member is weakened because it wasn't drilled in correct place it isn't the EC's fault, though if the EC recognizes it is wrong he should refuse to pull cables/raceways through the holes to begin with or at least without notifying the GC and documenting the problem just as a CYA thing.

And the beauty is, none of that is my circus to worry about if others did the work. It makes life so easy. :cool:

kwired

Electron manager
And the beauty is, none of that is my circus to worry about if others did the work. It makes life so easy. :cool:
I'd say that also depends on AHJ rules where the work is located. Here if I (my contractor license/my business) pull the wiring permit and it doesn't comply with code I am ultimately responsible for making it code compliant whether I actually installed it or not. Especially on new construction - nobody else should have been there doing electrical work unless they work under me or pull their own permit for their portion of the work.

If I took over a job someone else started and screwed it up (licensed or not) I still need to file my permit for my work. I can use anything they left if it is code compliant, or make it right. If they were not licensed - that is between them and the AHJ and really not any of my business how that gets handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.