Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 pair CAT 5e vs (2) 25 pair CAT 5e

50 pair CAT 5e vs (2) 25 pair CAT 5e

Is there a difference between running a 50 pair cat5e and 2 - 25 pair cat5e cabling?
    How do you determine how big your cat5e has to be?

No, assuming data and if you want to run that stuff in the first place. If it's any distance convert to fiber and back.

How do you know how many pair? 4 pair per drop.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by sergiyny View Post
    Is there a difference between running a 50 pair cat5e and 2 - 25 pair cat5e cabling?
    How do you determine how big your cat5e has to be?
    If this is for voice, I would run cat 3. There is nothing to gain by running cat5e for backbone voice. What is the application that you are needing cat5e 25 or 50 pair cable? I have never seen it done for data.

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4BILI7Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3.

I have never seen it done for data.
    I have- by hacks. That's what I was trying to get across. Just because somebody makes it and it says CAT5e doesn't mean that it's any good. It would have to be terminated on CAT5e 66 punch down blocks on each end then individual 4 pair CAT5e run from there to a patch panel or the jacks to have any chance of success.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I have- by hacks. That's what I was trying to get across. Just because somebody makes it and it says CAT5e doesn't mean that it's any good. It would have to be terminated on CAT5e 66 punch down blocks on each end then individual 4 pair CAT5e run from there to a patch panel or the jacks to have any chance of success.

-Hal
    And the sheer physical space occupied by the jacks will make it almost impossible to maintain proper wire spacing and impedance from the fanout point of the cable to each of the jacks.

There may be specialized data links and control buses that do not use all four pairs of the UTP for their communication, and those might be combined into a high pair count cable.
    Clean termination will still be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by luckylerado View Post
    If this is for voice, I would run cat 3. There is nothing to gain by running cat5e for backbone voice. What is the application that you are needing cat5e 25 or 50 pair cable? I have never seen it done for data.
    It was the requirement by a client to run 50 pair from one building to another.

But for cat 5e?

Voice or data?

Ahh, so now it gets a little more complicated. Building entrance protectors, OSP cable, support strand (if aerial), proper ground bonding.

You still didn't tell us if this is for voice or data.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Ahh, so now it gets a little more complicated. Building entrance protectors, OSP cable, support strand (if aerial), proper ground bonding.

You still didn't tell us if this is for voice or data.

-Hal
    It's for both voice and data. Cable has to be buried in 4" conduit.

It's for both voice and data. Cable has to be buried in 4" conduit.
    50 pair direct burial Cat 5e is about $20/ft from what I can see on the 'net. Pricey stuff.