Thread: Fire rated penetrations

Fire rated penetrations

I have a fire damper that is penetrating the last floor (roof) and I need to know if we have to apply a fire sealant material around the damper just like we do in the walls between the rooms or it's not required.

appreciate your help guys

You have not told us type of construction, but typically exterior envelope and between floors are required to have a fire rating. Reference the same plans that you are using to determine which wall penetrations require fire stop. Given this is a fire damper, I’d guess yes again.

Quote Originally Posted by publicgood View Post
    Given this is a fire damper, I’d guess yes again.
    same here.

Quote Originally Posted by publicgood View Post
    You have not told us type of construction, but typically exterior envelope and between floors are required to have a fire rating. Reference the same plans that you are using to determine which wall penetrations require fire stop. Given this is a fire damper, I’d guess yes again.
    It's a concrete construction. I thought that in case of fire it wouldn't make a difference if the fire or smoke got it's way out of these penetrations since it's going outside the building through the roof and not affecting any other building.

Quote Originally Posted by LAYTH-X View Post
    It's a concrete construction. I thought that in case of fire it wouldn't make a difference if the fire or smoke got it's way out of these penetrations since it's going outside the building through the roof and not affecting any other building.
    Why would the fire damper need to be there if there doesn't need to be a rating on this part of the building envelope?

If a weak portion easily burns through before that 1 hour/ 2 hour rating period then you increase ventilation which allows more oxygen to fuel the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Why would the fire damper need to be there if there doesn't need to be a rating on this part of the building envelope?

If a weak portion easily burns through before that 1 hour/ 2 hour rating period then you increase ventilation which allows more oxygen to fuel the fire.

It's exhaust fan with a fire damper

Quote Originally Posted by LAYTH-X View Post
    It's exhaust fan with a fire damper
    True fire damper or just a back-draft damper?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    True fire damper or just a back-draft damper?
    True fire smoke damper