I have a question regarding 314.23 (B) (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

I found myself involved in a discussion with a Jedi Knight about using the two holes in a 4'' square metal box to secure to a wood stud using screws. My understanding as it were is the referenced code prohibits this via last sentence of the paragraph. I understand the concept of passing thru regarding such boxes as gangible switch boxes, where nails were passed ''clear'' thru the box from outside to outside, but I think ''pass thru'' also includes screws passing from inside to outside as well. When a traveling person passes thru US Customs, it doesn't matter if they go thru two other countries first, or just start from one on our border, they are passing thru customs. I see the same language regarding passing thru boxes with nails or screws. Input?

iwire

Staff member
I have used those holes and would again.

IMO that section prevents the screws from passing from one side to the other not simply through one side

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have used those holes and would again.

IMO that section prevents the screws from passing from one side to the other not simply through one side

I agree

B.D..jpg

Attachments

• B.D..jpg
    B.D..jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree with iwire and so does the CMP as they have accepted my public input for the 2017 code to make it clear that you can pass screws through a single side of a box to support it.

I have used those 1/4" holes on the back and the smaller 2 holes on the sides to mount 1900 boxes to everything from wooden framing members to steel trusses for 20+ years. All inspected all passed i would imagine one inspector even the great Osceolo county inspector Roy would have mentioned something if it were not right. I've used wood screws, tapcons, bolts, sheet metal screws, etc... i think iWire had it right. The only hole you cant use to mount with on the back of that box is the 8/32 threaded hole that is for the green ground screw.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
.... The only hole you cant use to mount with on the back of that box is the 8/32 threaded hole that is for the green ground screw.
Banish that thought right now.

You are not required to use that 10-32 threaded hole for box bonding only. The box can be bonded by any permitted means. The 10-32 threaded hole is just there as a convenience for when you want to use it for a bonding screw (such is not required to be green-colored either).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would the holes on the side of the box not be allowed when the holes in the back are allowed? It's the same difference...:)

For a 1900 box i dont see why you would want to use anything else. Are those cheesy ground clips cheaper yes, but cheaper is rarely better. And if i saw guys on my job grounding a 1900 box with something other than the standard green ground screw i would have a chat with that guy about professional standards when representing my boss and shop. And maybe mention having some pride in there work. And yea its a 10/32 not 8. had that size on my mind as i am running to a supply house for longer 8/32s lol

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I found myself involved in a discussion with a Jedi Knight about using the two holes in a 4'' square metal box to secure to a wood stud using screws. My understanding as it were is the referenced code prohibits this via last sentence of the paragraph. I understand the concept of passing thru regarding such boxes as gangible switch boxes, where nails were passed ''clear'' thru the box from outside to outside, but I think ''pass thru'' also includes screws passing from inside to outside as well. When a traveling person passes thru US Customs, it doesn't matter if they go thru two other countries first, or just start from one on our border, they are passing thru customs. I see the same language regarding passing thru boxes with nails or screws. Input?

The section you've mentioned if for installations like this not using the side holes on one side with a fastener:

AxAebFZ-ZTPMjEwxU8S60rvhLordDqq7U5BAX2U5pbo=w636-h921-no

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I agree with I-Wire also and Smart took the words right out of my mouth.

JAP>

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For a 1900 box i dont see why you would want to use anything else. Are those cheesy ground clips cheaper yes, but cheaper is rarely better. And if i saw guys on my job grounding a 1900 box with something other than the standard green ground screw i would have a chat with that guy about professional standards when representing my boss and shop. And maybe mention having some pride in there work. And yea its a 10/32 not 8. had that size on my mind as i am running to a supply house for longer 8/32s lol
Just pointing out requirement vs. myth, not debate the merits of one compliant means over another.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And if i saw guys on my job grounding a 1900 box with something other than the standard green ground screw i would have a chat with that guy about professional standards when representing my boss and shop. And maybe mention having some pride in there work.

So let me get this straight, if you had a box of plain jane10/32's in the truck but no screws that had some resemblance of green on them, you would drive across town or wherever to get something that is sold as a ground screw even though there is nothing requiring it?

Heck, if a helper used a screw and nut because he didn't have a "ground screw" I'd compliment him / her for improvising to get the job done.

Finding an alternative way of doing something doesn't mean low standards? :roll:

Roger

I would wonder why the guy in charge of the jobsite or service truck ran out of stock of something as simple as ground screws... Whenever i get a case of boxes the first thing i do is have ground screws installed with dual pigtails then packed back up. So whenever a box or case of boxes is taken from the laydown area or out of the service van there is already a ground screw and double ended pigtail already in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.