Thread: GFI Equipment breakers

GFI Equipment breakers

Has anyone used the GFI equipment type breakers that trip at 30 miliamps on commercial coolers in restaurants ?

I have not. Is there a particular reason you want to?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Are you proposing using 30ma GFPE in lieu of 5ma protection that is required on receptacle circuits?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

yes because the the 5 ma seem to trip easy on a cooler and heating elements and if i am reading the code right the 5 ma if for counter receptacles not equipment that stays plugged in

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls Electric View Post
    yes because the the 5 ma seem to trip easy on a cooler and heating elements and if i am reading the code right the 5 ma if for counter receptacles not equipment that stays plugged in
    I don't read it that way, can you be more specific?
    Tom
    TBLO

...if i am reading the code right the 5 ma if for counter receptacles not equipment that stays plugged in
    You didn't put what Code cycle you are working with. Which exact article are we wanting to get on the same page on?

Sounds like commercial refrigeration equipment is calling for GFP protection, or someone wants to include it.

Most 120v readings I find at energized refrigerator door handles are caused by defective light sockets or light switches.

By the time I get there, workers were accustomed to working in the dark, using their phone flashlight, and bibs to grab the door handle.

Its not until the owner himself grabs the door with his bare hands, and gets jolted on his butt, before someone finally calls.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

You're reading it incorrectly, all receptacles in this location require GFCI protection (5ma, class A) whether they feed permanently installed equipment or counter receptacles.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted