Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Layout Guy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,665

    Layout Guy

    What exactly does the layout guy do in the field? Ha I see some jokes coming here.

    Does he deal with laying out branch circuits?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    23,788
    Depends on the type of job. On a new construction concrete job the layout foreman will be up on the deck before the lather installs the rebar and layout conduit runs, sleeves, ceiling boxes, etc. that go into the pour. They also layout wall roughing for switches, receptacles, etc. for wall partitions, conduit runs, electric closets, service rooms. The job can vary greatly.

    For new construction the layout foreman can be one of the most important people on the job.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Clark County, NV
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    ...For new construction the layout foreman can be one of the most important people on the job.
    You want to know who the SMART electricians are on a crew? See who gets picked by the boss to do the layout.

    It's usually thankless, and results in no eye candy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Depends on the type of job. On a new construction concrete job the layout foreman will be up on the deck before the lather installs the rebar and layout conduit runs, sleeves, ceiling boxes, etc. that go into the pour. They also layout wall roughing for switches, receptacles, etc. for wall partitions, conduit runs, electric closets, service rooms. The job can vary greatly.

    For new construction the layout foreman can be one of the most important people on the job.
    Got it, thanks. So renovation no need for layout guy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    23,788
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Got it, thanks. So renovation no need for layout guy.
    You would still have wall partitions with switches, receptacles, fire alarm, data drops, as well as ceiling lighting, branch circuits, home runs, etc. Typically for us a layout guy does that layout.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,191
    Depends too on how many guys you have. We used to do only custom homes so the lay out guy would go around the house doing the, layout, someone would follow him nailing boxes and then someone would be behind him drilling holes.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

    There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

    John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,665
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    You would still have wall partitions with switches, receptacles, fire alarm, data drops, as well as ceiling lighting, branch circuits, home runs, etc. Typically for us a layout guy does that layout.

    So how do they do the wall etc. roughing layout? Markings in field or drawings? Would they have anything to do with how the branch circuiting is ran/installed?
    Last edited by mstrlucky74; 11-02-17 at 02:02 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    23,788
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    So how do they do the wall etc. roughing layout? Markings in field or drawings? Would they have anything to do with how the branch circuiting is ran/installed?
    Typically spray paint right on floor at the location of the device. Usually the layout will have the circuit number and panel designation if there are multiple panels.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •