Kitchen Peninsula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is an authority having jurisdiction call, IMO. If I were doing that I would use a wiremold box and mount it to the back of that higher cabinet. Depending on the thickness of the backing that may work. Actually I would tell the cabinet guy he needs to make it work

RICK NAPIER

I don't think the upper cabinet area qualifies as wall space. I do believe you still will need to put a receptacle up there because of
210-52(C)5.

JDB3

I see what you are up against. Trying to mount any type of box in the taller cabinet could be a nightmare! What type of counter top is going on the lower cabinet? I might consider a pop-in box cut in the taller cabinet & then use a box flushing device to bring it out even with the back-splash. The cabinet guy could make the drawers on the other side a bit shorter to accommodate the pop-in boxes. But by all means, check with inspector first!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't get this at all! Looking at the first photo, and the horizontal suface that has some yellow wire on it, what will become of that surface? Will a countertop be placed on it? Will additional cabinets be built on top of it? Regardless of the answer, a person standing in the kitchen, to the right of what you called a peninsula, will not be able to reach the surface or the cabinets behind the peninsula. This is a stupid layout, or I am missing something obvious.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't get this at all! Looking at the first photo, and the horizontal suface that has some yellow wire on it, what will become of that surface? Will a countertop be placed on it? Will additional cabinets be built on top of it? Regardless of the answer, a person standing in the kitchen, to the right of what you called a peninsula, will not be able to reach the surface or the cabinets behind the peninsula. This is a stupid layout, or I am missing something obvious.

Those are two different surfaces with different depth and different heights. The one to the left (first photo) is a bar type of some sort that is accessible from the sliding door side. Where he is contemplating to install the receptacle is the back splash (for lack of better term) that will be facing the counter top accessible from the kitchen side.

I believe it is a AHJ call. But I do not see much difficulty installing a box and a receptacle.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If I was the AHJ I would require a receptacle. IMO, If a box can be mounted then I see a wall space.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I still call it a peninsula.
However, if it has a backslash (as shown by OP) then as an AHJ I will ask for counter serving receptacles. If this install did not have a backsplash then only one receptacle is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.