Thread: Metal Halide Bulb replacement

Metal Halide Bulb replacement

Is there an advantage to replacing these with the same thing?

Is a 70 watt metal halide bulb any different than an LED bulb with the same lumens?

Only that at that small of size shouldn't matter much other than maybe its color rendering index maybe lower.
    As you start to get into larger metal halides the weight of led fixture replacement maybe become an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylectricity View Post

Is a 70 watt metal halide bulb any different than an LED bulb with the same lumens?
    I've been replacing metal halide bulbs around my plant with LEDs. The LEDs are significantly larger and I've run into spots were the LED replacement doesn't fit in the enclosed fixture.

Most I buy are ballast bypass

Metal Halide may have mercury, not sure about that
    If left on 24x7 older style lamps will explode, solution is to turn off once a week
    And of course the big difference is the huge energy savings, no color shift and LED lamps may last your career. Some POCOs will give you grant money to replace

HID luminaires are designed for the point source of the HID lamp, changing to an LED may impact the light distribution.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn_Europa View Post
    I've been replacing metal halide bulbs around my plant with LEDs. The LEDs are significantly larger and I've run into spots were the LED replacement doesn't fit in the enclosed fixture.

Most I buy are ballast bypass

Has anyone replaced a 250w metal halide lamp with a ballast bypass led one yet?

would like to know how affective they were and where you bought them.

it really depends on the fixture and application

A couple quick things that come to mind. Instant on, no 15 minute delay when the power glitches. LED's can be dimmed, or controlled by occupancy sensors. They require less maintenance.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustwin351 View Post
    Has anyone replaced a 250w metal halide lamp with a ballast bypass led one yet?

would like to know how affective they were and where you bought them.
    I have been happiest with Olympia Lighting. Their bulbs seem to be brightest at rated hid "retrofit" . Definitely make sure you double check your fixture dimensions though. The bulbs will be longer.

They only carry E26 and E39 base types. Last I checked they did not have EX-39s.

One of the best things about switching to led is that you can install lighting controls and occupancy sensors

I usually call a local lighting rep and have them come out and tell me what my options for LED solutions are, then have them follow up with a quote.
    Ken
    Electrical Project Coordinator

"Communication, its a wonderful thing, when it happens."