Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leaving day job for own company

My advice?

don't do what i did

decades ago ,i approached my employer to inform him I had passed my masters ,
    his response was ' a master don't mean nuthin' to me'

My response was 'I does to me, and i'm out the door, see ya"

Only to learn a tradesman does not a biz man make , the hard way

Fast forward ,now in the back 9 of my career looking back , i ate a LOT of crow , it's just not a meritocracy , contracting is akin to spending your time in a shark tank of smiley toothed sorts who target fresh meat, litigation is always a palpable presence, dealing with the public daily is condusive to misanthropy , and don't get me started on our lovely Infernal Revenue service.....

Cultivate advice, experience, and all biz tools you will, but above all consider the mindset of a biz stature ,and it will be your suit of armor

Good luck out there

~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    ..contracting is akin to spending your time in a shark tank of smiley toothed sorts who target fresh meat..
    ~RJ~
    Well said.

William J. Ferguson, General Council, Babcock Power, describes legal liability:
    Taken from ECM Video - Fast FWD to 44min mark

Consequence for unknowingly using counterfeit parts:
    10yrs in Prison & 5-Million fine for individuals on 1st offense. 20yrs in Prison for 2nd offense.
    Civil charges: Breach of Contract, Gross/Negligence, Intentional Misrepresentation, Strict Liability
    Criminal charges: Fraud, Punitive damages, and Attorneys Fees, among others.

The legal doctrine used to prosecute contractors in most States is called:
    Joint & Several Liability: 1% responsibility = 100% liability. You Touch it, Your responsible.
    Counterfeit Equipment prosecutions are similar to civil litigation for building-code negligence.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

There are other sharks in contracting waters:

Regulatory Mandates

General Liability Insurance - few thousand annually
    Errors & Omissions Insurance - few thousand annually
    Workers Compensation Insurance with/out payroll services - few to several thousand annually
    Employer Contributions for any Self-Employed Retirement Contributions - Up to $20,000 per year, per employee
    Employer Contributions for State & Federal required Health Insurance - few thousand annually per employee

Operational Mandates

National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) - few thousand annually for access to more than 1 code standard.
    Better Business Bureau (BBB) - few thousand annually for a logo on your website.
    Dun & Bradstreet - few thousand annually for business credit registration.
    Internet Optimization Services, Yelp, Google, etc.. - Several hundred a month or else, the phone won't ring.

I'm sure I missed some, if anyone cares to join in..
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    There are other sharks in contracting waters:

Regulatory Mandates

General Liability Insurance - few thousand annually - Really several thousand - Required by who
    Errors & Omissions Insurance - few thousand annually Humm did not know it is required
    Workers Compensation Insurance with/out payroll services - few to several thousand annually -
    Employer Contributions for any Self-Employed Retirement Contributions - Up to $20,000 per year, per employee - where you get this!
    Employer Contributions for State & Federal required Health Insurance - few thousand annually per employee - what this guy is going to immediately open up a 100 employee shop!

Operational Mandates

National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) - few thousand annually for access to more than 1 code standard.
    I have access to all the codes current and past for free.
    Better Business Bureau (BBB) - few thousand annually for a logo on your website. Those folks could go pound sand
    Dun & Bradstreet - few thousand annually for business credit registration. not a necessary
    Internet Optimization Services, Yelp, Google, etc.. - Several hundred a month or else, the phone won't ring. you can do for free

I'm sure I missed some, if anyone cares to join in..
    Yep! you highly over state what is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    Yep! you highly over state what is necessary.
    The Sharks push it, and say we need it. Who are you to argue with insurance agents.

Not getting screwed is another full time job. Miss a day, and your business folds.
    Last edited by ramsy; 12-31-17 at 06:06 PM.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

https://www.nspe.org/resources/ethics/code-ethics

1. Engineers shall not accept outside employment to the detriment of their regular work or interest. Before accepting any outside engineering employment, they will notify their employers.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

you have private backlog greater than a years salary?
    how did you solicit the work?
    it's the hardest part because you can't offer services to anyone that already has a relationship with another engineer
    they must post an rfp or contact you

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    you can't offer services to anyone that already has a relationship with another engineer
    not entirely true. you can't offer services in an attempt to knowingly displace a firm/engineer which has been retained or is in the process of being retained for a specific project. we don't know enough about how the OP is earning work to determine if he is acting ethically or not.

they must post an rfp or contact you
    my understanding is you can non-indiscriminately solicit, with informational brochures, public engineering project meeting attendees so long as you are not trying to take work already agreed to be completed by another firm/engineer.

the act of attending the public meeting about an engineering work is enough to establish interest of engineering services. no need to wait for someone to call you cause they found your name in the classifieds. getting work in the private sector.. that's a different story i know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by drktmplr12 View Post
    not entirely true. you can't offer services in an attempt to knowingly displace a firm/engineer which has been retained or is in the process of being retained for a specific project. we don't know enough about how the OP is earning work to determine if he is acting ethically or not.

my understanding is you can non-indiscriminately solicit, with informational brochures, public engineering project meeting attendees so long as you are not trying to take work already agreed to be completed by another firm/engineer.

the act of attending the public meeting about an engineering work is enough to establish interest of engineering services. no need to wait for someone to call you cause they found your name in the classifieds. getting work in the private sector.. that's a different story i know nothing about.

pretty much 100% true
    'supplant' is the word
    we know there are ethical concerns since he has not notified his employer of his side engineering work

he said he is working with clients from the past
    since he is working for (or has worked for) others, it would seem the clients are/were his employers
    the question is would his employer want the work?
    would they have received it had it not been for their employee who garned the work by a relationship he developed while being employed by that firm (or a previous employee)?

it's a grey area and varies by juristiction
    I did alot of public work and most gov entities have an appointed engineer
    it's required by law

if I would distribute material to attendees and solicit their contact info at a conference of muni officials then make a 'sales' call that would not fly in PA
    if I had a booth and they took info that is another matter

pretty much 100% true
    'supplant' is the word
    we know there are ethical concerns since he has not notified his employer of his side engineering work

he said he is working with clients from the past
    since he is working for (or has worked for) others, it would seem the clients are/were his employers
    the question is would his employer want the work?
    would they have received it had it not been for their employee who garned the work by a relationship he developed while being employed by that firm (or a previous employee)?

it's a grey area and varies by juristiction
    I did alot of public work and most gov entities have an appointed engineer
    it's required by law

if I would distribute material to attendees and solicit their contact info at a conference of muni officials then make a 'sales' call that would not fly in PA
    if I had a booth and they took info that is another matter
    clients from older job doing short circuit studies. current employer does residential. so long as his moonlighting doesn't affect his day job and he is using 0 day job resources, i see no problem except he should have told his employer that he was doing this.

you can't offer services to anyone that already has a relationship with another engineer they must post an rfp or contact you
    i just mean to say that I disagree with this interpretation. My reasoning here.