true dali dimming system

Status
Not open for further replies.

zam

Has anyone designed a true dali dimming system before? Can you recommend a US company that manufactures Lighting Control Panels and Relay Panels to design a true dali dimming system. Thank you.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I learned about these, what is the reasoning behind them at this point? I realize it is about a standard that everyone is supposed to adhere to.

zam

This is for a retail store in the US that sells UK based perfumes. It is the design team in the UK that is asking for the true dali system. I tried to reason with them, they don't want a 0-10V dimming system.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
This is for a retail store in the US that sells UK based perfumes. It is the design team in the UK that is asking for the true dali system. I tried to reason with them, they don't want a 0-10V dimming system.

I Don't know who is or will be selling such a system for use here in the US. There were folks from Lutron in my class and they shrugged their shoulders. I can't see the big guys loosing their proprietary systems.

marshatl

I represent a company that works with DALI and have a few installations. It has never taken off here in the states as much as in Europe. Biggest problem has been a lack of ballast/driver support from the vendors which leads to fixture manufacturers either saying no or charging high fees to install in their product. But in our large installation here with several thousand DALI fixtures it works very well, reports back lamp status and responds to commands quickly.

We typically work in the realm of large installation energy management systems, but in your case it seems more aesthetic oriented small scale. I would look to Crestron for what you are trying to accomplish. They have DALI interfaces that work with their touch screen solutions to create a variety of scenes and moods for a retail environment. And they have a variety of dealers/installers that can help make it work.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I represent a company that works with DALI and have a few installations. It has never taken off here in the states as much as in Europe. Biggest problem has been a lack of ballast/driver support from the vendors which leads to fixture manufacturers either saying no or charging high fees to install in their product. .

It's tough for new technology adoption. Especially when you take proprietary solutions out of the mix.

Look at res and SOHO controls such as Zwave and Zigbee. These all have been around for quite some time. They claimed interoperable platforms however each large manufacture wanted proprietary protocols and commands. They refused to interact with devices they did not like regardless if they were properly certified and compliant to the standard.

I was surprised to see so many of those same companies belonging to the DALI alliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.