Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Estimating Consultants

Electrical Estimating Consultants

Has anyone use an estimating consultant to do the take offs for you? Do you think they would be beneficial? I'm a small contractor and I'm wearing all of the hats!!!

When I first started as a EC I got offered a job that was too big for me to estimate (a large retail store build out with new service). I tried doing it myself, but there was way to much for me to handle. I called up another EC I used to work for and offered to partner. I asked him to estimate it. When he got it done in one day I asked him how and he said he used an estimating service. We won the bid and did the job successfully.

That said, I'm still afraid to use them myself because I have no way to verify they didn't forget something major that will cause me big headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    When I first started as a EC I got offered a job that was too big for me to estimate (a large retail store build out with new service). I tried doing it myself, but there was way to much for me to handle. I called up another EC I used to work for and offered to partner. I asked him to estimate it. When he got it done in one day I asked him how and he said he used an estimating service. We won the bid and did the job successfully.

That said, I'm still afraid to use them myself because I have no way to verify they didn't forget something major that will cause me big headaches.

Bingo....if you hire an outside takeoff service, YOU are still responsible for any errors or omissions he made. In other words, if you can't estimate, you have no idea how to check his work.

I would be interested in using one of these firms. I've been bidding and doing light commercial jobs for the last 10 years successfully and am in that "gray" area where I'm not big enough to have a estimator on staff but need some help sometimes with the estimating. If I could just get someone to get the material quantities and a estimate on hours needed it would help a lot. Google returns quite a few options but sure would like to hear some feedback on one before I try it..

Curiosity question here.... for those looking, and those that have used a service like this, what are they charging or proposing to charge you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Good Q

One can google Electrical Estimate Services and or Consultants , or Electrical Estimating software to assume their expenses.

The problem i have with them is ,many wish to introduce more than a one time fee for services or software.

IMHO, one would be far better off soliciting a biz course at a local college vs. the many 'teach but can't do' predators looking to hold us hostage

~RJ~

Electrical Estimating Consultants

Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    Good Q

One can google Electrical Estimate Services and or Consultants , or Electrical Estimating software to assume their expenses.
    Maybe you can show me then...... I’ve yet to find one that lists a price online. It’s all case-by-case basis. So, I’m just interested in some examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Electrical Estimating solutions

Hi everyone on this thread. My name is Moshe and I am an Electrical Estimator. I understand both sides of this discussion. As in everything in life, there are pros and cons. The truth is a contractor must know how to estimate himself, otherwise he will almost always sell himself short (or too high). He should only hire an estimator if he is on the brink between too much work and not enough time. Otherwise it's a waste of his money. It is true that the contractor must look over the estimators work, the same way any supervisor or owner takes care of his business, but the bulk of the work has been done. It's just a matter of looking things over to make sure it all adds up.
    Last edited by ActionDave; 01-26-18 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MGest View Post
    Hi everyone on this thread. My name is Moshe and I am an Electrical Estimator. I understand both sides of this discussion. As in everything in life, there are pros and cons. The truth is a contractor must know how to estimate himself, otherwise he will almost always sell himself short (or too high). He should only hire an estimator if he is on the brink between too much work and not enough time. Otherwise it's a waste of his money. It is true that the contractor must look over the estimators work, the same way any supervisor or owner takes care of his business, but the bulk of the work has been done. It's just a matter of looking things over to make sure it all adds up.
    tick tock tick tock
    Last edited by jumper; 01-28-18 at 12:25 PM. Reason: remove link

Quote Originally Posted by mayanees View Post
    tick tock tick tock
    yep.....