Thread: Electrical Estimating Consultants

Electrical Estimating Consultants

Has anyone use an estimating consultant to do the take offs for you? Do you think they would be beneficial? I'm a small contractor and I'm wearing all of the hats!!!

When I first started as a EC I got offered a job that was too big for me to estimate (a large retail store build out with new service). I tried doing it myself, but there was way to much for me to handle. I called up another EC I used to work for and offered to partner. I asked him to estimate it. When he got it done in one day I asked him how and he said he used an estimating service. We won the bid and did the job successfully.

That said, I'm still afraid to use them myself because I have no way to verify they didn't forget something major that will cause me big headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    When I first started as a EC I got offered a job that was too big for me to estimate (a large retail store build out with new service). I tried doing it myself, but there was way to much for me to handle. I called up another EC I used to work for and offered to partner. I asked him to estimate it. When he got it done in one day I asked him how and he said he used an estimating service. We won the bid and did the job successfully.

That said, I'm still afraid to use them myself because I have no way to verify they didn't forget something major that will cause me big headaches.

Bingo....if you hire an outside takeoff service, YOU are still responsible for any errors or omissions he made. In other words, if you can't estimate, you have no idea how to check his work.