Thread: Ground Ring connected to building steel functioning as the telecom bonding backbone?

Ground Ring connected to building steel functioning as the telecom bonding backbone?

I'm working with a customer who believes that the ground ring installed around the building and connects to the building steel will eliminate the need for a TBB (Telecom Bonding Backbone) to be installed. They simply want to install a TGB in the IDF with a #6awg attached to building steel (column).

Looking for input to convince them that the ground ring does not replace the need to install a separate bonding system for the telecom system.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Is a separate bonding system that you've mentioned a TIA or some other requirement? I know of no such requirement in the NEC. We connect the telecom grounding system to the building GES.

Welcome to the Forum.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcolosimo View Post
    I'm working with a customer who believes that the ground ring installed around the building and connects to the building steel will eliminate the need for a TBB (Telecom Bonding Backbone) to be installed. They simply want to install a TGB in the IDF with a #6awg attached to building steel (column).

Looking for input to convince them that the ground ring does not replace the need to install a separate bonding system for the telecom system.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    I agree with infinity. Under the NEC there is no such thing as a separate telecom bonding system, everything gets bonded together.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Grounding & Bonding

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Is a separate bonding system that you've mentioned a TIA or some other requirement? I know of no such requirement in the NEC. We connect the telecom grounding system to the building GES.

Welcome to the Forum.
    Perhaps this TIA may be what Infinity mentions above: Bicsi
    https://www.bicsi.org/uploadedFiles/...o%20-%20OK.pdf

Some facilities may require a certified Communication designer appropriate to provide the development installation.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post

Welcome to the Forum.
    And under current Code, the connection must be to the intersystem bonding termination (IBT) for new construction. See 250.94, especially the Exception thereto if dealing with an existing building.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by nec_addicted View Post
    Perhaps this TIA may be what Infinity mentions above: Bicsi
    https://www.bicsi.org/uploadedFiles/...o%20-%20OK.pdf

Some facilities may require a certified Communication designer appropriate to provide the development installation.
    I was going to also link the wire sizing table, but it is already in the document NEC_addicted linked to. Refer to page 6 in his document, which increases the wire size based on the distance.

I also agree with the intersystem connection. My understanding is that you want to make sure that the grounds at the receptacles are at the same potential as the telecom grounding system to minimize stray signals/static on the equipment.

My understanding is that you want to make sure that the grounds at the receptacles are at the same potential as the telecom grounding system to minimize stray signals/static on the equipment.
    I've had equipment destroyed because of a 50 volt difference in potential between the receptacle ground prong and the building steel that the equipment was grounded to.

-Hal

everthing has to bonded together unless isolated i thought... but even that ends up at the main bond anyway or am i missing something

Quote Originally Posted by mcolosimo View Post

Thanks in advance!

Mike

was it a bonding or equip problem?

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I've had equipment destroyed because of a 50 volt difference in potential between the receptacle ground prong and the building steel that the equipment was grounded to.

-Hal