Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ground Ring connected to building steel functioning as the telecom bonding backbone?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1

    Ground Ring connected to building steel functioning as the telecom bonding backbone?

    I'm working with a customer who believes that the ground ring installed around the building and connects to the building steel will eliminate the need for a TBB (Telecom Bonding Backbone) to be installed. They simply want to install a TGB in the IDF with a #6awg attached to building steel (column).

    Looking for input to convince them that the ground ring does not replace the need to install a separate bonding system for the telecom system.

    Thanks in advance!

    Mike

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    25,820
    Is a separate bonding system that you've mentioned a TIA or some other requirement? I know of no such requirement in the NEC. We connect the telecom grounding system to the building GES.

    Welcome to the Forum.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    9,707
    Quote Originally Posted by mcolosimo View Post
    I'm working with a customer who believes that the ground ring installed around the building and connects to the building steel will eliminate the need for a TBB (Telecom Bonding Backbone) to be installed. They simply want to install a TGB in the IDF with a #6awg attached to building steel (column).

    Looking for input to convince them that the ground ring does not replace the need to install a separate bonding system for the telecom system.

    Thanks in advance!

    Mike
    I agree with infinity. Under the NEC there is no such thing as a separate telecom bonding system, everything gets bonded together.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

  4. #4

    Grounding & Bonding

    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Is a separate bonding system that you've mentioned a TIA or some other requirement? I know of no such requirement in the NEC. We connect the telecom grounding system to the building GES.

    Welcome to the Forum.
    Perhaps this TIA may be what Infinity mentions above: Bicsi
    https://www.bicsi.org/uploadedFiles/...o%20-%20OK.pdf

    Some facilities may require a certified Communication designer appropriate to provide the development installation.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21,385
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Is a separate bonding system that you've mentioned a TIA or some other requirement? I know of no such requirement in the NEC. We connect the telecom grounding system to the building GES.

    Welcome to the Forum.
    And under current Code, the connection must be to the intersystem bonding termination (IBT) for new construction. See 250.94, especially the Exception thereto if dealing with an existing building.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by nec_addicted View Post
    Perhaps this TIA may be what Infinity mentions above: Bicsi
    https://www.bicsi.org/uploadedFiles/...o%20-%20OK.pdf

    Some facilities may require a certified Communication designer appropriate to provide the development installation.
    I was going to also link the wire sizing table, but it is already in the document NEC_addicted linked to. Refer to page 6 in his document, which increases the wire size based on the distance.

    I also agree with the intersystem connection. My understanding is that you want to make sure that the grounds at the receptacles are at the same potential as the telecom grounding system to minimize stray signals/static on the equipment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    3,828
    My understanding is that you want to make sure that the grounds at the receptacles are at the same potential as the telecom grounding system to minimize stray signals/static on the equipment.
    I've had equipment destroyed because of a 50 volt difference in potential between the receptacle ground prong and the building steel that the equipment was grounded to.

    -Hal

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    488
    everthing has to bonded together unless isolated i thought... but even that ends up at the main bond anyway or am i missing something



    Quote Originally Posted by mcolosimo View Post
    I'm working with a customer who believes that the ground ring installed around the building and connects to the building steel will eliminate the need for a TBB (Telecom Bonding Backbone) to be installed. They simply want to install a TGB in the IDF with a #6awg attached to building steel (column).

    Looking for input to convince them that the ground ring does not replace the need to install a separate bonding system for the telecom system.

    Thanks in advance!

    Mike

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    488
    was it a bonding or equip problem?


    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I've had equipment destroyed because of a 50 volt difference in potential between the receptacle ground prong and the building steel that the equipment was grounded to.

    -Hal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •