Thread: Photocell

Photocell

Anyone come across fixture mountable photocells. I have a small office with about 15 fixtures on the perimeter and the fixture cut calls for a fixture mounted photocell. Why would you need one on every fixture? Thanks

Several of these can be mounted inside or on the surface of a fixture: https://www.homedepot.com/s/photocell?NCNI-5

If they aren't powered from the same switch leg that goes from fixture to fixture, you can switch with photocell from each fixture, but you will have slight variances and they won't all come on at exactly the same time.

If the circuit goes from fixture to fixture, you can wire the first photocell in series with the hot wire and then it is the only one you need.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Several of these can be mounted inside or on the surface of a fixture: https://www.homedepot.com/s/photocell?NCNI-5

If they aren't powered from the same switch leg that goes from fixture to fixture, you can switch with photocell from each fixture, but you will have slight variances and they won't all come on at exactly the same time.

If the circuit goes from fixture to fixture, you can wire the first photocell in series with the hot wire and then it is the only one you need.
    That depends on how much wattage you're switching through the photocell and if the photcell is rated for that much.
    Sometimes I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by qcroanoke View Post
    That depends on how much wattage you're switching through the photocell and if the photcell is rated for that much.
    Very good point. And with LEDs, you can do a lot more than you used to.

Right so if you had 4 fixturesright next to each other on the same switch leg you wouldn't need a photocell for each, correct ? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Very good point. And with LEDs, you can do a lot more than you used to.
    Absolutely!
    Sometimes I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Right so if you had 4 fixturesright next to each other on the same switch leg you wouldn't need a photocell for each, correct ? Thx
    Most of the time, you wouldn't want more than one photocell, because you would want them all to come on at exactly the same time.