Neutral Screws on Sideways Receptacle up or down

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcanyonboltz

I was taught to put the neutral screws up on a sideways receptacle as were most residential guys I know. On the other hand I know some commercial guys that were taught to put hot screws up on a sideways receptacle. Anyone have any thoughts on this....?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Personally, I do neutral side up unless it's for a specific item with a flat plug where the cord goes in a direction instead of sticking straight out.

My thought is that if something falls on a partially loosened plug there's a better chance it doesn't get energized.

I think commercial guys just like to do things backwards.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I put the neutral slot up if the receptacle on the lazy, just the way I was taught. I don't even think about it now. I do notice I have a habit of holding a cord with the neutral prong up when I go to plug in, if the receptacle is turned the other way I get all messed up for a second.

kwired

Electron manager
I was taught to put the neutral screws up on a sideways receptacle as were most residential guys I know. On the other hand I know some commercial guys that were taught to put hot screws up on a sideways receptacle. Anyone have any thoughts on this....?
My thoughts are there are about as many pros as cons either way, so take you pick at which ones are most important to you.

I also see this eventually getting shut down as it is about the same thing as "ground up / ground down" discussions that are generally shut down when they come up.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know either what kwired means by "plug tails". Pass & Seymour does offer a line of products where you wire the tail on rough in then plug in to device. Not sure how this relates to sideways installation ?...

http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/plugtail/product-details.aspx#.VVYX0vlViko
You didn't know what I meant yet posted a link to the product I was talking about, not really sure how to handle that one.:?

;)

Thread title is about orientation of the neutral terminal screws, did you see such screws on the plug tail devices?

Sorry for being too technical, literal, sarcastic or something - I think.

John120/240

You didn't know what I meant yet posted a link to the product I was talking about, not really sure how to handle that one.:?

;)

Thread title is about orientation of the neutral terminal screws, did you see such screws on the plug tail devices?

Sorry for being too technical, literal, sarcastic or something - I think.

Yes When I read the title of the post, the neutral terminal screws did not enter my mind. I just thought of orientation of installed receptacle. It was just a guess (correct one) that you were talking about Pass & Seymour. I now see how the absence of terminal screws is germane to the discussion.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Grounded (conductor) screws up. If metal plate is used would you want it slipping off onto hot conductors or grounded conductors?

Ya, you are probably right....it happens soooo often. I mean.....like last week i must have found 30 or 40 receptacles like that.

That's why I don't connect the equipment grounds at the receptacles.......we don't want any breakers tripping......then the thing plugged in wouldn't have any power.........:sleep:

kwired

Electron manager
Grounded (conductor) screws up. If metal plate is used would you want it slipping off onto hot conductors or grounded conductors?
I don't really run into too many metal plates - other then surface mounted handibox covers and 4x4 raised covers also for surface mounted applications. That said, I kind of still put the grounded conductor up for that reason in most instances or for the plug that is not fully inserted and any conductive object falling on the blade is not going to be on the ungrounded conductor. Just a little added safety factor for something that isn't too high of risk in the first place.

zcanyonboltz

So it looks like it comes down to personal preference or what you were taught when you were green. The listed reasons in the replies for up or down are the same reasons I've been told by people I talk to on the job. A new reason I read here for grounded up is the metal plate falling on the screws this kinda ties into what I learned grounded up in case anything falls on the screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.