GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
One is just a shorter abbreviation than the other by eliminating the "C".

Roger

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Your part of the country probably uses the term used by the predominant equipment manufacturer. For example; Square D has always used the term GFI generically to mean ground fault protection (tripping) while GE and UL have always used GFP to describe the same equipment.

GFCI has always been reserved to mean a Class A (4-6mA trip) or a Class B device (for swimming pools built before the 70's) per UL's White book category KCXS and special devices (Classes C, D, and E) in category KCYC (also see category DKUY for breakers).

electricalist

I thought they were referred to as gfi because it's easier conversationally. Plus the C was a given so why restate what is being interrupted.
Me personally I left the C out because I just didn't know there was a C.

kwired

Electron manager
I find that about 90% of the time people are usually talking about GFCI's even though they don't know what proper terminology is or a lot of the time they don't even know there are other items that have similar names, similar operating characteristics, yet very different and serve an entirely different purpose. Many of those same people don't really know entirely what the device is all about either - just where they know they are supposed to use it or they fail the inspection.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
IMHO the C is important:
Plain GFI would be Ground Fault Interrupter rather than Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.
But the device is not in a position to interrupt the Fault, just the Circuit on which the fault occurred.
:)

electricalist

Mr Gold when we're on the job and have a debate the person who is wrong has to say these words in front of the crew. "I hate it when you're right"
I hate it when you're right.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You sure about that? Isn't GFP Ground Fault Protection as in article 215.10?
215.10 Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment. Each feeder disconnect rated 1000 amperes or more and installed on solidly grounded wye electrical systems of more than 150 volts to ground, but not exceeding 600 volts phase-to-phase, shall be provided with ground-fault protection of equipment in accordance with the provisions of 230.95.
427.22 Ground-Fault Protection of Equipment. Ground-fault protection of equipment shall be provided for electric heat tracing and heating panels. ...
The code does not do a very good job with those two very different types of ground fault protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.