Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Millwork Recept.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Ok, thanks. Would you need an extension ring as I would imagine you would have the sheetrock and millwork giving you about an 1-1-1/2'
    If I understand what you are talking about the answer is no.

    You use an old works box. Not as much room as 1900 box and extension ring. But it can mount without having a stud for support. Depending on the amount of room you could use a deep metal old works box and extra length madison bars ( same company that make the template).

    The old works box fit into the hole that's cut and is flush with the surface of the millwork. Ears keep it from going in to far and the madison bars keep it from pulling out.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Clark County, NV
    Posts
    482
    I thought we were dealing with a preexisting box in the wall and millwork going over the top of it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,669
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I thought we were dealing with a preexisting box in the wall and millwork going over the top of it.
    No, new install.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    23,790
    If the box is in the Sheetrock wall you can use an adjustable cover to bring it out.

    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Miami Fla.
    Posts
    7,374
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    If the box is in the Sheetrock wall you can use an adjustable cover to bring it out.

    Can you get a GFCI in that? Looks like the angled corners would be prohibitive.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    23,790
    Quote Originally Posted by chris kennedy View Post
    Can you get a GFCI in that? Looks like the angled corners would be prohibitive.
    You might be right. That would be a good thing to check before installing these.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,498
    Quote Originally Posted by chris kennedy View Post
    Can you get a GFCI in that? Looks like the angled corners would be prohibitive.
    I bet most fit, there is always the option of upstream GFCI protection - another receptacle, circuit breaker...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Clark County, NV
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    ...upstream GFCI protection...
    Is also probably a lot easier for the next electrician to find than the one inside some millwork that the resident forgot about.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    When you guys install receptacles in furniture/millwork doyou make the cut out/opening? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Ok, thanks. Would you need an extension ring as I would imagine you would have the sheetrock and millwork giving you about an 1-1-1/2'
    If this is new work and I have mounted a 1900 box with an extension ring then I'm not likely to be there when the carpenters install the millwork. These boxes will have passed the rough inspection before the carpenters/sheetrockers are even allowed to install any wall covering.

    Even if I were on the job when the millwork was being installed they had better not ask me to cut out the openings for the boxes .
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,498
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post

    Even if I were on the job when the millwork was being installed they had better not ask me to cut out the openings for the boxes .
    But if they don't cut it quite large enough will you finish cutting it out or will you make them do it? What if they aren't on the job anymore when you discover this?

    For me a wood back in a cabinet or cutout of a laminate backsplash isn't too big of a deal, but non proper fit of granite, marble or something like that - I take each case as it comes and won't necessarily have a standard one answer fits all either, but will lean toward the the other guy is going to be fixing it, as I am not going to be the one buying the granite countertop if I make a mistake in that case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •