Thread: GAP? Down light housing to trim ??

GAP? Down light housing to trim ??

Good morning.

Finished basement with hung ceiling and recessed lights
    The rough in enclosed cans are mounted to the wood floor joists
    The trims use springs for connecting trims to cans.
    The hung ceiling acoustic tile is s couple inches down from the flood joist so that there is a 2 or 3 " gap between the frame in kit and tile ( trim )

Unlike the gap in s device box from the box to the surface of dry wall, is this acceptable ??

Thank you
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

What kind of lights (LED or with a lamp)? Aren't you going to loose a lot of light in the gap?

I don't know of any code issues, but it doesn't seem like it would look very nice.

BR incandescent lamps.
    Smh. No it doesn't look nice. :- )

Called in to correct violations for s house sale.

The down lights weren't on the punch list but I was curious as I've never heard of a code that mentioned that the frame in kit had to be flush to the tile or final surface eg Sheetrock ??

I guess it's s go ( though it looks terrible )
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

I'll bet this is addressed in the installation instructions. Those could probably be acquired from the manufacturer, perhaps even online.

Quote Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
    Good morning.

Finished basement with hung ceiling and recessed lights
    The rough in enclosed cans are mounted to the wood floor joists
    The trims use springs for connecting trims to cans.
    The hung ceiling acoustic tile is s couple inches down from the flood joist so that there is a 2 or 3 " gap between the frame in kit and tile ( trim )

Unlike the gap in s device box from the box to the surface of dry wall, is this acceptable ??

Thank you
    The way to resolve this is to adjust the interior screws inside of the can. The inner part will come down and can be adjusted so it's flush with the acoustic tile surface. Then install your trims. Even better would be to use the trims that have a built-in LED, so that the customer will never have to change bulbs. They come in packs of 3 at Home Depot for $30.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff48356 View Post
    The way to resolve this is to adjust the interior screws inside of the can. The inner part will come down and can be adjusted so it's flush with the acoustic tile surface. Then install your trims. Even better would be to use the trims that have a built-in LED, so that the customer will never have to change bulbs. They come in packs of 3 at Home Depot for $30.
    I've never seen a can that will adjust down 2-3".