Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Material cost.

You have two basic choices. Use other people's "rules of thumb" or develop your own. From a labor perspective I believe you are best off using others, at least to the point where you have done enough to know when to adjust. Where one task may cause you to miss on the low side, the next task is likely to average that out.

From a material perspective though, this also goes for take off quantities, short cuts are fraught with peril. Since you are doing this for yourself you aren't paying someone by the hour to estimate, take all the time it takes. Do this for the first couple of houses, until you develop a feel. Decide exactly how you are going to run the wiring and take it off foot by foot. Take off every single box, every double box, every ground termination and every switch cover. Add 10% for the things you missed and send a list off to your supply house for a price. When you are done, divide the number of devices by the footage of wire and after a couple you will come up with a method. Myself, I use 15 feet of 12-2 per recept and I always roll home runs to the area. But again you have to do it yourself first, so you know when to add or subtract from that, which I do all the time.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Ok ill check back when I have all the drawings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Hey! That’s the project I’m looking at!

I do my best to bid them high and succeed most of the time.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Hey! That’s the project I’m looking at!

I wonder who came up with these plans. The first thing I notice was there was not a single ceiling fan or prewire for a fan. The next thing was this is a single story with a basement, you don't see many large houses that are single story around here.

I would like to see some full size plans with dimentions, it's hard for me to see 6K sq ft. in this house.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

It has a attic too.. the office area on the on the first floor plan page..off to the side, is actually upstairs

Wow, that is a pretty big home office and storage area.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahim84 View Post
    2500 14-2 2000 12-2 1000 14-3 100 10-2 100 10-3 100 8-3

Basically this was my estimate and I wanted to see how close to anyone else I would be

Those numbers may be sufficient if you are putting in absolute minimum you can get by with.

If you like to run heavy on circuits/outlets you likely need more cable.

Placement of panels makes some difference though. If kitchen, laundry, baths are on opposite end of house then the panel you tend to need more cable because you have a lot of long home runs then if you can place panel close to higher load density areas. Plus your ranges, ovens, clothes dryers are larger cables and if they have long runs drives total cost of cable up for the job.