Thread: Required Lighting outlet in shed with power?

Required Lighting outlet in shed with power?

Is there an NEC code that requires a lighting outlet in a shed that's wired with a 20 amp ckt and several 120 receptacles? I checked 210.70 and there is no mention of a shed. The shed does not have any "equipment requiring service". It is definitely used for "storage" but 210.70.3 only mentions "attics, underfloor spaces, utility rooms and basements". Am I missing something or another section of the NEC that addresses this?

Quote Originally Posted by hitehm View Post
    Is there an NEC code that requires a lighting outlet in a shed that's wired with a 20 amp ckt and several 120 receptacles? I checked 210.70 and there is no mention of a shed. The shed does not have any "equipment requiring service". It is definitely used for "storage" but 210.70.3 only mentions "attics, underfloor spaces, utility rooms and basements". Am I missing something or another section of the NEC that addresses this?
    The closest match to a shed that I know of is 210.7(A)(2)(A) which mentions "detached garages with electric power".

Beyond that there doesn't seem to be any specific requirement for a shed.

Quote Originally Posted by hitehm View Post
    I think the code is silent on sheds unless it could be considered a garage.
    Better question is why would you not want a light being that there are already receptacles there?
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    I think the code is silent on sheds unless it could be considered a garage.
    Better question is why would you not want a light being that there are already receptacles there?
    I agree under normal circumstances but this case isn't a matter of "want". The house is being sold and there will be an inspection. Just want to make sure the inspector can't site an NEC code violation. With that said, the shed has a solar powered motion activated light that actually works well enough when needed and can also be switch to full ON if desired.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Doesn't every building with electric service have to have a light for the outside door?
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Doesn't every building with electric service have to have a light for the outside door?
    Well if you can find that in the code I'll agree with you. The intent might have been to include sheds but the wording doesn't back that up.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

There is no code that a shed must have a light or a receptacle. You can have one or the other or both or neither. I can guarantee that you might run into a home inspector with a different opinion.
    Unlimited Electric Contractor/Standard Electric Inspector/Traffic Signal Inspector/Highway Lighting and Level One Traffic Signal Installer.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.