Thread: Brand of AFCI question

Brand of AFCI question

Hi guys,

I know lots of people have issues with AFCI nuisance tripping so I wanted to ask; from your experience are any specific brands of load centers/breakers less sensitive or seem to have less nuisance tripping than others? (Square D, Siemens, Eaton, etc.)Are there some of you who never have a problem with AFCI? Whats the secret? From what I've heard its pretty common for even with experienced electricians but want to know about your guys experience.

I have always worked with SQAURE-D (Homeline) and have never-never had any issue with AFCI nuisance tripping, unless there was a ground fault.
    Edward
    The only thing I know, is the progressive discovery of my ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    I have always worked with SQAURE-D (Homeline) and have never-never had any issue with AFCI nuisance tripping, unless there was a ground fault.

I've heard its usually with vacuums or contractors using different types of saws. But good to know to look out for ground faults.

Most of the ones I've replaced because of nuisance tripping were Square D Homelines, Each time I've done so, the new one had a different color button to show it was a different generation. Each time, the new one fixed the non-existent "problem."

That said, I'm assuming the reason Square D are my most common replacements is because they are the most popular breaker for newer homes in these parts.

I wouldn't hazard a guess if one brand was any better than the other, but I'd want the latest generation of whichever brand I went with.

Hands down GE. They have their game together the most.
    What is esoteric knowledge today will be common knowledge tomorrow.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

I wouldn't hazard a guess if one brand was any better than the other, but I'd want the latest generation of whichever brand I went with.

Now, if the supply house will just make sure you get the newest and your competitors get the old stuff that has no problems.
    Tom
    TBLO