Electrical Meter, Sangamo Type J2S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with this, I'm trying to figure out how to pull this Sangamo J2S meter. This isn't the first time I've pulled a meter from the socket while energized, but when I removed the band, I found that the glass dome was separate from the meter base. Usually I just grab the glass dome and unplug the meter. My question since this meter has exposed parts and is energized how would you go about pulling it. Never encountered this type of meter before looking for any advice.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
If it's a POCO meter, they would likely kill it at the weather head or transformer and then pull it. If it's not a POCO, can't you turn off the service disconnect and pull it? Built in the '50's and 60's. If it's a J2S, the S means socket base, so there should be no screws holding it in. I've pulled quite a few where the cover ring is broken. I always wore PPE when pulling 'em energized. You never know what conditions are behind a meter. You can use a screwdriver behind the backplate to get it started, then just yank it out. But I definitely wouldn't do it without faceshield, gloves, etc. Just me, though.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Back when we were allowed to pull meters, we called the POCO when the glass would separate from the base. They were broken. POCO would pull fuses, remove the old meter, and leave us a new with a seal to install when we were done.

Now, we don't pull unless we have a go ahead from the local POCO tech and he is SE of Forever Lost while we are NW of Neverwasmapped.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Unrelated trivia;
Although now part of Schlumberger, Sangamo used to be part of a larger company called Sangamo Weston.
I always though that would be a great stage name for a blues performer.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, give it up for Sangamo Weston and his blues guitar..."

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
j2s_zpsxzcpbtlk.jpg

The Sangamo J2S is an old meter from the late Fifties and Early Sixties. I have handled them a lot over my career when starting the upgrade of an old 60 Amp service.

I'd agree with the others that this seems to indicate that it is broken. If you have seen something that indicates screws I am cautious to think the screws plus the loose fishbowl might well indicate a history of power theft. . .

Probably best to step back from the PoCo cashbox and let them get it loose.

Thanks I thought the meter was broken but couldn't it be an old ringed meter and that's why the glass comes off. The cover fits behind the meter base not over the glass.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
The cover fits behind the meter base not over the glass.

The cover of the metal meter socket enclosure? Yes. This style requires a separate "sealing ring", in my experience, that goes around the outside of the base of the meter itself, including a bulging lip in the glass of the meter, and the lip that is extruded on the outside surface of the meter hole in the meter socket steel cover. The "sealing ring", is, in turn, sealed legally with a PoCo non-reversible seal.

SQAREDE02957_1_PE_001.jpg

meternerd

Occupation
Thanks I thought the meter was broken but couldn't it be an old ringed meter and that's why the glass comes off. The cover fits behind the meter base not over the glass.

On Kwh meters, the "glass" is held on by a lockring, (either metal or plastic) attached to the meter "glass" that must be rotated to remove the glass from the meter. They have a provision for a seal (small metal tab that is bent to lock and breaks when un-bent) installed by the POCO after the meter is tested. A missing seal is an indication of tampering, since there's no reason to remove it. If the glass falls off, something is broken.

There are basically three kinds of self-contained (non-CT) meter bases. One is the ring type, which requires a sealabe locking ring over the meter and cover to hold the meter in place. One is the ringless type, where the meter panel cover holds the meter in and the cover is sealable. These two use socket type (S base) meters that plug into the meter base. One is a bolt in meter that is hardwired to the service conductors (A base) (old school....not used anymore) where the wiring cover is sealable. There is also a K base that is a 400A bolt in meter...also old school. Replaced by the Class 320 S-base.

meternerd

Occupation
I take it you don't have a hot stick for disconnecting the cut out at the transformer?

Call the utility.

The utility probably wouldn't pull the cutout, because most transformers have multiple services, so no reason to inconvenience 'em all. Just sayin'.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Thanks. The meter is missing the PoCo meter department seal, a separate ring that holds the fish bowl securely to the white (as seen in the photos) base. I'll bet they have rules about this, and will want to replace this unit with a sealed meter. This looks like a plain old straight blade socket that is visibly oxidized. Cut the drop at the weatherhead. Will the meter male blades start sliding before the guts shatter? No way to know. Don't work it live, in my opinion.

Steve Sink

I would say first of all if you do not feel comfortable, DO NOT PULL IT! That being said, I am a meterman and have pulled several meters just like this. The glass cover has either a metal or plastic sealing ring on the base of it. Sometimes the ears on the cover break off when the meter has been in for several years. If I were to come across this meter, what I would do is this. First, put the cover back on the meter. (It turns in a clockwise direction). Then, for this particular meter base you should try to gently rock the meter from left to right. Note, you are not trying to pull it out at this point what I want you to do is listen. If you hear a lot of cracking, stop, the blocks inside the base are probably broken. If you do not hear this, proceed with caution and take a flat blade screwdriver and place just the blade between the top of the meter and the meter base. Twist the screwdriver like your are turning a screw and this should get the meter started. You should be able to pull it out at this point. Again, if you do not feel comfortable call the power company.

Status
Not open for further replies.