Thread: Out of Texas work

Out of Texas work

I am a Master Electrician from Texas, wondering if i can pull permits and do work in Indiana?

You can if Indiana has reciprocity with Texas.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Indiana doesn't seem to be regulated as a state but at local levels. I don't see reciprocity with TX.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by Hfalz1 View Post
    I am a Master Electrician from Texas, wondering if i can pull permits and do work in Indiana?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    You can if Indiana has reciprocity with Texas.
    I think you still have to get a license in whatever state you wish to do work in. The reciprocity agreement allows for you not to have to take the test.

Here in gerogia you would also have to get a business license to pull a permit. The owner and any employees would also have to file taxes in the state they are working in.

If someone wants to work in another state they should check with that state and see how much trouble it will be to get a license. A friend of mine had a grandfathered license and that didn't count for reciprocity since he didn't test to get it (can be a snag).
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I think you still have to get a license in whatever state you wish to do work in. The reciprocity agreement allows for you not to have to take the test.

Here in gerogia you would also have to get a business license to pull a permit. The owner and any employees would also have to file taxes in the state they are working in.

If someone wants to work in another state they should check with that state and see how much trouble it will be to get a license. A friend of mine had a grandfathered license and that didn't count for reciprocity since he didn't test to get it (can be a snag).
    I think you are correct in most cases. Each State or local AHJ will at very least want to collect your license fee if you are going to use it in their jurisdiction even if they weren't the ones who originally qualified you.

I think some places may recip journeyman but may still want contractors to take their exam.

NC has reciprocity with 11 states including Texas. If you are not from one of those states I believe you will have to take the nc licensing exam.

The State of Indiana does not have a state wide license requirement but as stated, some local jurisdictions do have license/registration requirements. We are still under the 2008 NEC with Indiana Amendments which can really throw off contractors outside the area. Maybe someday Indiana will catch up with the rest the country.

Quote Originally Posted by 102 Inspector View Post
    .... We are still under the 2008 NEC with Indiana Amendments which can really throw off contractors outside the area. Maybe someday Indiana will catch up with the rest the country.
    I don't expect it anytime soon from a state that opted out of Daylight Saving Time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk