Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Out of Texas work

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Houston, Tx.
    Posts
    26

    Out of Texas work

    I am a Master Electrician from Texas, wondering if i can pull permits and do work in Indiana?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    32,344
    You can if Indiana has reciprocity with Texas.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    32,344
    Indiana doesn't seem to be regulated as a state but at local levels. I don't see reciprocity with TX.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,950
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Hfalz1 View Post
    I am a Master Electrician from Texas, wondering if i can pull permits and do work in Indiana?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    You can if Indiana has reciprocity with Texas.
    I think you still have to get a license in whatever state you wish to do work in. The reciprocity agreement allows for you not to have to take the test.

    Here in gerogia you would also have to get a business license to pull a permit. The owner and any employees would also have to file taxes in the state they are working in.

    If someone wants to work in another state they should check with that state and see how much trouble it will be to get a license. A friend of mine had a grandfathered license and that didn't count for reciprocity since he didn't test to get it (can be a snag).
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,423
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    I think you still have to get a license in whatever state you wish to do work in. The reciprocity agreement allows for you not to have to take the test.

    Here in gerogia you would also have to get a business license to pull a permit. The owner and any employees would also have to file taxes in the state they are working in.

    If someone wants to work in another state they should check with that state and see how much trouble it will be to get a license. A friend of mine had a grandfathered license and that didn't count for reciprocity since he didn't test to get it (can be a snag).
    I think you are correct in most cases. Each State or local AHJ will at very least want to collect your license fee if you are going to use it in their jurisdiction even if they weren't the ones who originally qualified you.

    I think some places may recip journeyman but may still want contractors to take their exam.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    32,344
    NC has reciprocity with 11 states including Texas. If you are not from one of those states I believe you will have to take the nc licensing exam.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N/E Indiana
    Posts
    179
    The State of Indiana does not have a state wide license requirement but as stated, some local jurisdictions do have license/registration requirements. We are still under the 2008 NEC with Indiana Amendments which can really throw off contractors outside the area. Maybe someday Indiana will catch up with the rest the country.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    18,366
    Quote Originally Posted by 102 Inspector View Post
    ...
    .... We are still under the 2008 NEC with Indiana Amendments which can really throw off contractors outside the area. Maybe someday Indiana will catch up with the rest the country.
    I don't expect it anytime soon from a state that opted out of Daylight Saving Time.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •