Thread: Square D panel doesn't take twins, but mfg says yes

Square D panel doesn't take twins, but mfg says yes

A square D QO panel supplier says it takes twins, but they don't fit. People for years have tried to make them fit in this panel. They simply do not. A 225 amp panel, cat no. NQODQ2. Probably a 40 year old panel. Anyone else have this problem? Thank you

If older then 40 years it may require the use of non-CTL twins.

Quote Originally Posted by norcal View Post
    If older then 40 years it may require the use of non-CTL twins.
    I agree.

Non-CTL tandem breakers have no rejection feature and will plug onto any space, new or old panel.

Technically the Non-CTL's still sold are only supposed to be used as replacements for existing Non-CTL breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I agree.

Non-CTL tandem breakers have no rejection feature and will plug onto any space, new or old panel.

Technically the Non-CTL's still sold are only supposed to be used as replacements for existing Non-CTL breakers.
    I called Schneider Elec, an online Square D supplier, (I couldn't find a Square D site). They assured me that this model panelboard does not accept twins. They said only their QO load centers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenfyeager View Post
    I called Schneider Elec, an online Square D supplier, (I couldn't find a Square D site). They assured me that this model panelboard does not accept twins. They said only their QO load centers do.
    Schneider is a huge organization and sells things globally, they acquired Square D which was a North American company, still kept the Square D name for majority of the product lines that originated as Square D products.

Non CTL tandem QO breakers fit any panel that accepts plug on QO breakers.

Probably true that most if not all "panelboards" will not accept a class CTL tandem breaker.

You only saw a limited number of "loadcenters" that would accept them, until after the 42 circuit rule was eliminated from code, now you find 42 space loadcenters that will accept tandems in all 42 spaces - but with AFCI requirements you generally don't use any tandems anyway as they only come in full space frames.