Loopy wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
guinness-brilliant.jpg

Too bad it's a violation. Don't know the article, but it should be supported within 4" of a single gang box.

sweetcav

NEC 334.30 and 314.17 Type NM (nonmetallic) cable shall be secured at intervals not exceeding 4.5 feet and within 12 inches of each box. When a single gang box 2-1/4? x 4? or smaller is used without a cable clamp, the cable shall be secured within 8? measured along the sheath.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well the AHJ could approve it but I don't see that happening.

I don't either unless he wants to completely ignore the actual wording of the requirement. ;)

334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallic-sheathed
cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties,
straps, hangers, or similar fittings
designed and installed so
as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m
(4 1 ? 2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box,
junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be
stapled on edge.
Sections of cable protected from physical damage by race-
way shall not be required to be secured within the raceway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It is a strap ....

I have learned on the forums that some areas use cut of scraps of NM to support multiple runs of NM.

Wrapping one NM cable around two others before all three go into the box is a strap?

kwired

Electron manager
pull it too tight and you maybe have a violation of minimum bending raduis, but that needs to be pretty tight for a 14-2 NM cable, lets see someone do that with some 6-3 NM cable:cool:

iwire

Staff member
Wrapping one NM cable around two others before all three go into the box is a strap?

What is a strap?

Isn't that up to the AHJ?

Don't get me wrong, I would not do it, I don't like it and as kwired mentioned it could be a bending radius issue.

My only point was that IMO it is not a black and white violation.:)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't have a huge problem with it. Don't think it meets the maximum spacing from a box where an NM cable has to be secured.

Is there any prohibition on supporting an NM cable from another NM cable?

Used to be common around here to support runs of NM with small straps made up of wire, might even have been wire from scrap pieces of NM.

It looks kind of cheesey but other than some minor, technical violation of the code, it does not worry me all that much.

The wording of the "securing and supporting" rule would appear to prohibit one from running through studs horizontally since no staple or strap or similar device is used. But, I don't know of anyone that claims running an NM cable horizontally through studs requires any special securing or supporting regardless of the run length.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.